Scriptures on My Journey to 100

Home/Blog/Scriptures on My Journey to 100

I believe that one of the best weapons we, as believers in Christ have in any battle, are God’s words. Like Hebrews 4:12 says, “the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword…” (NIV). I have found that to be absolutely true! In times of my deepest temptations I have learned to wield the sword of the Spirit like a skilled soldier. I memorize scripture so I always have it readily available in my heart. I also carry spiral-bound 3×5 notecards that have scriptures written on them. This is a trick I learned from Beth Moore, who jokes that on the 8th day, God created notecards! Beth also has a great book called Praying God’s Word-Breaking Free From Spiritual Strongholds that I HIGHLY recommend. In it she shares the powerful weapon of combining God’s word and prayer. Many of my notecards contain scriptures/prayers straight from this book. Here’s one directly from the chapter on overcoming food-related strongholds: “Lord God, I acknowledge to You that like the ancient Israelites I eat but am often not satisfied. (Lev 26:26) Help me not to confuse the hunger of my soul with the hunger of my body. If I eat physical food and I am still not satisfied, help me discern a far greater need and bring it to You, O Lord. You are the only One who can truly satisfy the soul.”

Isn’t that great?! I did some looking and found a great price for it here if you’re interested.

For now though, I have listed many of my favorite “go-to” scriptures below (in NIV). Memorize them, keep them with you on notecards, turn them into prayers, whatever it takes! Hope this helps you on your own journey!

1 Corinthians 10:13– No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.

Deuteronomy 8:3b– Man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD.

Philippians 3:13-14– I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:12-13– I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

1 Corinthians 6:12– “I have the right to do anything,” you say—but not everything is beneficial. “I have the right to do anything”—but I will not be mastered by anything.

Mark 9:23b– “Everything is possible for one who believes.”

Isaiah 50:7– Because the Sovereign LORD helps me, I will not be disgraced. Therefore have I set my face like flint, and I know I will not be put to shame.

Proverbs 13:25– The righteous eat to their hearts’ content, but the stomach of the wicked goes hungry.

2 Timothy 1:12b– I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him until that day.

Romans 8:1-2– Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death.

Deuteronomy 30:15/Joshua 24:15– See, I set before you today life and prosperity, death and destruction…then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve…we will serve the LORD.

2 Corinthians 10:5– We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

Isaiah 55:1-2– Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost. Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy? Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and you will delight in the richest of fare.

John 8:32– Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20– Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.

Galatians 5:16– So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.

1 Peter 5:8– Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.

Psalm 139:23-24– Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

Ephesians 3:20– Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us

Romans 12:1– Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship.

1 Corinthians 6:14-15a– By his power God raised the Lord from the dead, and he will raise us also. Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ himself?

2011-03-22T01:02:08+00:00 Mar 22nd|Blog|0 Comments

No Comments

1. Debbie Watson March 23, 2011 at 1:54 pm - Reply

Saw you and Anita in Fayeteville…what an awesome show! Thanks so much for the inspiration you give to women and for standing up for Him in your music and comedy …you both are definately BLESSED! Keep the good work up! Mandisa…don’t worry..the right man will come along when you least expect it…HE bas already picked him out for you…Just be patient..lol….Love in Christ…Debbie

2. Tamara Avery March 23, 2011 at 11:36 pm - Reply

Mandisa, thanks for the scriptures and book recommendation. I’m going to get them all written out and start to memorizing. I have 100 pounds to lose also and have been looking for a good starting point, and I believe that scripture and seeking God’s assistance is the way to go. Thanks again.

3. Patti Edington March 24, 2011 at 4:07 am - Reply

I found your blog site when our radio station (JoyFM 99.1) in St Louis talked about your 100 pound weight loss on Facebook. Congratulations! I am SO happy for you! I need to lose more like 150 pounds and have fought this battle all my life. Nothing works permanently and I can feel myself eating out of control on many occasions. I am older now and I am desperate to lose this weight. You look so happy and beautiful on your 100+ video and when I read your blog and found your scriptures that you so generously shared with us, plus Beth Moore’s book that helped you so much, I was very encouraged. So I just wanted to tell you that I am so very happy for you. You have done at your young age what I should have done as well. You are a beautiful woman, inside and out and your testimony really blessed me. I will ask God to do for me what He has done for you – plus 50 lbs – 🙂 Thanks again. I call you blessed……………

4. Michele March 25, 2011 at 4:30 pm - Reply

Thank you for the encouraging verses and for the recommendation of Beth Moore’s book. I had neck surgery in December and have been struggling with my healing and why I am still in pain and having difficulties. I heard your testimony on TBN today and can relate to some of it. God is a good God and I am going to get a spiral 3×5 cards to write these & other Scriptures on to meditate on. Thank you for being so open and transparent. May God continue to richly bless you. You have an incredible voice. Love you!

5. Trish S. March 31, 2011 at 4:20 am - Reply

This was all very encouraging. You are an amazing, fighting, encouraging and inspiring woman of God who is incredibly blessing me and others. Thank you for being real and sharing the hard stuff, it helps us press through and glorify Him. 🙂

Love you girl!

6. Eva April 4, 2011 at 6:06 pm - Reply

Mandisa I just wanted to thank you for your song stronger it has really ministered and blessed me since I heard on the Made to crave webcast I have been listening to it all day today as I feel like the world is comming down on me. I know you will never see this post and since I couldn’t find any other way to contact you on your website I thought I would post my thanks for the song here. God Bless and please keep singing great songs with wwonderful lyrics like stronger.

7. Melissa April 11, 2011 at 12:05 am - Reply

Hi Mandisa,

I so appreciate your sweet heart in your music and how you are transparent in the life God has worked through you. I wanted to congratulate you on your healthy living journey to 100!! Way to go, what an inspirational example you are to so many!! I met you at the Minneapolis conference Women of Faith 2010, and it really touched my heart and has blessed me so much!! I am truly touched by all your lyrics in your songs. It is truly amazing to me!! Just like God really wants to use you in my life. To free me I think. I listened to praise fm online and heard 4 of your new songs. I know your voice well. I want you to know that I am praying for you whenever I hear your music and thank you for your example and inspiration. I hope one day I could chat with you more! God Bless you inside out sister! You are my favorite artist! Love you!
    Melissa

8. Sherri Watt April 14, 2011 at 8:05 pm - Reply

Picked up your new CD today…. got into the car…. popped it into the CD player….. tears began to roll. God knew just what I needed. He met me where I was. Thank You

9. Ryssa April 20, 2011 at 10:26 pm - Reply

Hi! I love your What If We Were Real album! I bought it because “Stronger” really inspires me when I need it the most . . . “when the waves are taking you under / hold on just a little bit longer”. . yes indeed

10. Ali April 25, 2011 at 5:27 pm - Reply

*WOW! I love those scriptures! Thank you so much for posting them. You’re my inspiriation!

11. Kelly April 26, 2011 at 3:12 pm - Reply

Mandisa-
    I am not one of those people who follow every artist and have every cd known to man! In fact, this is my first time to your website (didn’t know what I was missing, lol!) But, I just heard about it on Klove. And I don’t usually watch American Idol, (sorry) but I did happen to be watching the season you were on, and from the point that you confronted Simon in such a Godly manner, I was amazed at your strength and confidence in who God made you to be, and how you handled an obviously painful situation. I just wanted you to know, you are a great role model for us all. Stay strong, keep pressing in, because God is going to continue to do amazing things thru you and your music!

12. Tracy Schoolcraft April 27, 2011 at 4:33 pm - Reply

Mandisa~ God bless you for allowing him to use you! I am a new comer to Christ and so hungry for growth and intimacy with him. My New Year’s Resolution was centered on the Body being a Temple. I needed help with understanding……It clicked while listening to you on K-Love. I was hearing you say exactly what I have been saying. I couldnt believe someone went on a journey as embarrassing as mine and was telling the world! Now, I see just how beautiful and priceless the journey truely is! Thank you….I have allowed the enemy to steal away talents, courage, self confidence, blessings and so many things that I dont even know about due to living under his word of condemnation and not God’s word of “I CAN DO ALL THINGS….”

I want it back! Those were given to me from my Father and they still belong to me! I found strength & courage in your journey to pursue my very own journey. I want to know WHO GOD IS so that I can discover WHO I AM.

If I never meet you here~I promise to meet you when we get home!

Love Always,

Sister Tracy

13. Ivett Cajas April 28, 2011 at 8:09 pm - Reply

Thank you Mandisa because your songs help me through life with god’s word and jesus keep going strong girl.

14. Carmela May 1, 2011 at 2:52 pm - Reply

Hello Mandisa,

I just wanted to let you know how thankful I am for your song “Stronger”!! Last year in Nov. I got an injury in my back and it hit the nerve in my leg. I spent a couple months not even being able to walk because of pain. It was supposed to be better many times and kept surpassing the dates I was given, right now it’s been over six months, and I’m finally starting getting better!!

Your song “Stronger” made me cry the first time I heard it…and it still does! It just reminds me to keep fighting and that God IS still right here with me! It reminds me that His love is still right beside me!
    So keep rocking on girl!! <3

15. Mary M May 23, 2011 at 11:38 pm - Reply

Mandisa!!!!
    you are such an inspiration to everyone. Whether you know it or not, or believe it. your song “Stronger” came on 91.9 once when i was feeling really depressed over family issues and i just wanted to burst out in tears, your song hit me like i just ran into a brick wall!!!!!! I can’t describe it in words. You are helping so many people i promise you through your openness to your own struggles, and your songs. God WILL bless you because of that. It might not be though in a obvious way. Trust him in that. “Because things can only get better” ; ) I Hope you see this, so you can know that you have lifted up my soul and challenged me to trust in the Lord more.

16. Christina M May 24, 2011 at 7:27 pm - Reply

Hello Mandisa,

I would like to thank you for your uplifting message of faith and hope thru your music and blog. Thank you for your song “Stronger” its helping me thru difficult times, the passing of my cousin last week. Continue praising Jesus. God bless your music ministry.

17. Kai June 18, 2011 at 2:50 am - Reply

My friend and I are just starting our weight-loss and its encouraging to read about your own journey.I love your music too.I am very encouraged by what you have been able to achieve and I will be sharing our successes as well. God bless you my sister-friend in Christ.

18. Paula L June 19, 2011 at 4:14 pm - Reply

I just wanted to let you know that I have been one of “those” people watching your weight loss journey – cheering you on from the sidelines! I became more than a cheerleader with the re-broadcast of the Made to Crave webcasts. I watched, I listened, I learned, and then I did it! When you sang “Stronger” I could feel your heart and your honesty about this journey. I listen to the song daily (along with Laura Story’s song Blessing and Newsong’s I Need You Jesus).

As of this morning, I have lost 45 pounds and have 75 more to go (to keep the doctor happy!). I decided today to begin to discuss the weight loss on my blog for a bit more accountability.

I am going to be intentional in my prayers for OUR weight loss journey.

Thanks so much for sharing with so many your successes as well as your struggles.

19. Paula L June 19, 2011 at 4:25 pm - Reply

OOPS – Newsong’s title is “Rescue” (not I Need You Jesus)

20. Jenny July 28, 2011 at 2:50 am - Reply

I just wanted to let you know that I absolutely LOVE your songs and ministry!!! You are such a big inspiration to me musically, spiritually and now to get healthy! I saw you at the Festival performance in Fort Wayne, IN. in early July. It was just fabulous! Thank you for all you do!

21. Susan July 28, 2011 at 10:35 pm - Reply

I have been thinking about your post of this on facebook, but I never looked them up on here until today because I have been wanting to know what those Scriptures are, and surprisingly, some of these same Scriptures the Holy Spirit has been recalling in my heart. Thanks for posting these Scriptures that have helped you overcome.

22. Dean August 9, 2011 at 2:40 am - Reply

I first just want to say thank you for sharing your gift of music with the world. Your songs are very inspiring and moving in many ways. My wife also battles with weight loss and I tell her that I love her at any weight and that I always will. I encourange her to be content within herself and reach and maintain a healthy weight. Our culture can trap women and men to believe that happiness comes at an extremely low weight especially for women and young girls. There is a song from the 80’s that dealt with some horrible situations that women deal with in our world. I don’t know how the music industry works regarding remaking songs from past generations but I believe and would love to hear you remake this song into your own focusing on the weight issue. It was called Women in Chains by Tears for Fears. God Bless you.

23. Patricia August 31, 2011 at 5:06 pm - Reply

Love you Mandisa! Watched you on Idol and most recently on Lysa Terkeurst’s “Made to Crave” series. I am thankful I found you all ~ what an inspiration you are. Thank you for the verses ~ I have written them down and am going to try to memorize one by one. I just started an exercise class that I am excited about. Even though I do have some joint issues (1 yr ago had 1 knee replaced and other one needs to be done), I am customizing the movements just for me. I felt energized and boy did I sweat. Am committing to going to this class once per week along with my swimming and bicycling…I have bingeing issues and my weight has progressively been on he upswing … need to make changes and I know that I will get there…It is a mind game… Glad to have these verses to have and recite during day.. Thank you… here’s to losing 50lbs and getting healthy, physically and spiritually!

24. Jayme September 4, 2011 at 7:42 am - Reply

Hey Girl,
    I am so excited to tell you that I have decided to join you as a young, beautiful, woman of God to lose 100 lbs by my 27th Birthday (which is October 12, 2012), You have been such an insperation to me and I can not wait to embark on this journey! I know God has called me to be the best version of myself that I can be and right now I have about 150lbs in my way. So, I have committed to God and myself to make this change in my life. I know with God, prayer, great support and accountability partners and a whole lot of hard work I CAN DO THIS! I am going to take your advice and commit to memorize scripture that will help me fight off temptations. I ask that you please pray for me and my journey. This is something I have been dealing with all my life and I am finally ready to do something about it for good! I love ya girl and I thank you for being such an amazing, Godly woman that I look up too and would love to call my friend! God Bless!
    Jayme

25. Trish September 4, 2011 at 7:22 pm - Reply

I absolutely love your “What if We Were Real” CD! Every song has a special meaning to me…. Although I love “Stronger,” my absolute favorite these days is “The Truth About Me.” God has done incredible healing in my life, helping me overcome childhood sexual abuse and difficulties in my marriage, but God is still working on me. I have struggled my whole life with weight issues, and I have seriuosly begun to address these at the age of 45. What I am beginning to realize is that Satan is holding me bondage in this area, and I can never be used by God as completely as I hope, until I am really healed in this area. I have learned I need to look to God for my affirmation, rather than my husband or any other person, but I need to truly believe who I am in Christ. Thank you for encouraging me and so many others with your gift of music. God bless your ministry!

26. Eunice Amoabeng October 16, 2011 at 1:49 am - Reply

Glory to God for your life Mandisa! I’ve been an emotional eater amd very recently I was involved in a daniel fast and i almost gave up.But the Hoky Spirit kept reminding me of your song Stronger. I was on my way home and I was just planning to eat meat, I was wondering why that song kept coming to me. Iater felt the conviction and decided to go along with it and dwell on the grace to pull me through. Just wanted to say God bless you for that song and its my prayer that He continues to use you to touch lives.

27. Dottie Carter January 28, 2012 at 12:51 am - Reply

Hi wanted to say what a blessing you have been thur your song STRONGER……
    I have written some songs to help young people in this time when material things seem to be over powering them……Could i send it to you for your review……
    Please accept my thanks for your kindness….
    God Bless you Honey
    Dottie Carter

28. Helen Roberson April 13, 2012 at 10:37 pm - Reply

Mandisa, I absolutely love you. God has used your life and your songs to minister to my soul. Your last 2 CDs were given to me as gifts and in turn it became my gift to over 10 friends (Amazon delivered quickly too). May God richly bless you to continue on living a Spirit-filled life blessing people, like me, all over the world. Oprah, BET, CNN, American Idol, X-Factor, The Voice & TBN, etc. need you on their network. My prayer is that God’s Will be done and I pray that His Will is to make you a household name because of the anointing on your life and through your songs people are saved and set free. May God richly bless you and your family. May HE make His face to shine upon you and bless your comings and goings. God be glorified today and forever.

29. anne July 10, 2012 at 7:50 am - Reply

Thank you so much. Mandisa, you are such a bright light. I’ve listened to “Stronger” hundreds of times now. It has helped me through a lot. I just wrote down a lot of these scriptures; thank you for reminding me of them. If I can’t meet you someday in this life, then I’ll be sure to meet you in the next. <3

30. Heidi McFee October 30, 2012 at 9:51 pm - Reply

Mandisa, I love your Good Morning song. I love that you are a Christian. Praise the Lord. I am currently on my journey to lose about 70 pounds. I have been 35 pound more than I am right now, so I can so totally relate with you.
    I have an Addiction to Food as well and am currently reading a book called “The Hunger Fix”. It’s really good and is helping me immensely, however it is not Biblically based. I’m definately getting the Beth Moore book. Thank you for recommending it!! What an overcomer you have been. I pray that I can be used of the Lord to help others with this battle, as you have done. O I also sing. Have my whole life in church and was in a Christian band as a young adult. 🙂 God bless you Disa!! In Him, Heidi

31. Connie April 18, 2013 at 3:00 am - Reply

Hi Mandisa! I was wandering how your journey is going. I myself am on journey to loose weight and become a healthier person. Your song Stronger gives me the inspiration to continue my journey. Thanks being a great encouragement !

32. […] This blog post of her is wonderful. […]

33. Pamela February 10, 2014 at 9:39 am - Reply

Thanking you for your love of the Lord..for your Good morning song and overcomer…have memorized I John 4:4