At the End of My Rope

Home/Blog/At the End of My Rope

One of my New Year’s Resolutions was to memorize a new passage of scripture each month. For August I chose Romans 7:15-25 in the Message translation. Well, that’s not entirely accurate. Apparently I bit off a little more than I could chew with this passage! The truer statement would be, for August AND July AND June, I chose Romans 7:15-25! It took me a while but I think I’ll finally make it! ๐Ÿ˜‰

I feel like this passage came directly from my heart! As a food addict with binge eating disorder, I cannot tell you how many times I have said to myself that I simply couldn’t understand why I kept repeating the same destructive patterns over and over again! I would do well for a while but then inevitably something would happen and I would slip back into a period of sitting in my house stuffing myself sick with high fat, high sugar foods. I know all too well how this behavior makes me feel: miserable! But I felt like I could not stop. Eventually, I would get fed up with the natural repercussions of my binge (sleepless nights, clothes beginning to fit too tight, shame leading to feeling distant from God) and I’d “get back on the wagon”.

I don’t know exactly what Paul’s “thorn in the flesh” was, but based on Romans 7:15-25 (MSG), he struggled with the same vicious cycle I do:

What I don’t understand about myself is that I decide one way, but then I act another, doing things I absolutely despise. So if I can’t be trusted to figure out what is best for myself and then do it, it becomes obvious that God’s command is necessary.But I need something more! For if I know the law but still can’t keep it, and if the power of sin within me keeps sabotaging my best intentions, I obviously need help! I realize that I don’t have what it takes. I can will it, but I can’t do it. I decide to do good, but I don’t really do it; I decide not to do bad, but then I do it anyway. My decisions, such as they are, don’t result in actions. Something has gone wrong deep within me and gets the better of me every time.

It happens so regularly that it’s predictable. The moment I decide to do good, sin is there to trip me up. I truly delight in God’s commands, but it’s pretty obvious that not all of me joins in that delight. Parts of me covertly rebel, and just when I least expect it, they take charge.

I’ve tried everything and nothing helps. I’m at the end of my rope. Is there no one who can do anything for me? Isn’t that the real question?

The answer, thank God, is that Jesus Christ can and does. He acted to set things right in this life of contradictions where I want to serve God with all my heart and mind, but am pulled by the influence of sin to do something totally different.

So today as I was working on memorizing this passage (2 more days left in August…2 more sentences to go! Woohoo!), I got to verse 24:

I’ve tried everything and nothing helps. I’m at the end of my rope

It struck a chord in me. “I’m at the end of my rope”. How many times have I repeated that very statement to the Lord? I could picture it. My living room full of Krispy Kreme boxes, McDonald’s, Wendy’s & Jack n’ the Box wrappers, and empty cartons of Ben & Jerry’s Strawberry New York Cheesecake ice cream. Then in a moment of utter desperation and hopelessness I would cry out, “God! Help me! I’m at the end of my rope”! And there it is. The place God had been trying to get me to for however long I’ve been ignoring Him this time. That is where I will always find Him. At the end of my rope.

I’ve always heard it said that “God will never put more on you than you can bear”. As a matter of fact I’ve quoted that very sentiment many times from stage. But you know what I realized? That verse does NOT say God wouldn’t put more on us than we can bear. 1 Corinthians 10:13 promises that God will not allow us to be tempted beyond what we can bear (which makes it a great scripture to quote when tempted with food…or anything else. Here are some more.). There is a difference. You see, I believe God WILL allow us to be in circumstances beyond our own abilities to endure. After all, if we could bear it on our own, we would try to! But that is not where God wants us. He wants us at the end of our rope, because that is where we finally recognize that we cannot handle it ourselves. We need Him.

Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened…” (Matt. 11:28 NIV)

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me“. (Php. 4:13 NKJV)

“My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness…” (2 Cor. 12:9a NIV)

If you find yourself at the end of your rope today, know that that is exactly where you should be. For it’s at the end of your rope, that you’ll find Jesus. He is with you. He’ll never leave you or forsake you. In the middle of a whatever difficult circumstances you are facing, He may very well calm the stormย  around you (Mark 4:35-39) or He may allow the storm to rage but cause you to walk on water (Matt. 14:23-32). However He chooses to work, our job is simply to keep our focus on Him and trust in His strength. If you do, He will bring you out STRONGER!

2011-08-30T23:54:05+00:00 Aug 30th|Blog|77 Comments

1. Heather August 31, 2011 at 12:10 am - Reply

Oh Mandisa! How awesome to hear your heart & your struggle with this. I know it will minister to so many women (as it did me)!!! But PRAISE the LORD you know there is a Helper who cares & LOVES you for YOU, even in spite of your weakness!!! If He gave us what we could handle, there would be NO need for God!! It’s one of my BIGGEST pet peeves when people take that out of context. You are loved so much and such a blessing to me through your music & meeting you in Florida last year was a major highlight in my life! Continue what you’re doing and doing it for the Lord!!!

Love one of your biggest fans,
    Heather C. from Spokane, WA

2. sheri August 31, 2011 at 12:15 am - Reply

A timely message. Thank you, Mandisa! I am looking so forward to hearing you at wof phoenix! And you look marvelous!

3. Amber Meyer August 31, 2011 at 12:16 am - Reply

Thank you so much for this. I’m a boredom binge eater and I feel this way so many times. I feel like such a disappointment to God, to myself, to my husband…it gets really frustrating to be so good and then fall so far when struggling with food issues. I always forget to leave this in God’s hands. I think I’m strong enough to handle it, and I am for a minute. Then that minute is over and I’m back where I was, putting food into my mouth. Food I don’t even want.

Thank you again. I need this right now, and Jesus knows this.

4. Savannah August 31, 2011 at 12:18 am - Reply

Sitting here in tears after reading this. This was the exact thing I needed to hear. Thank you!!

5. Tiffani Goodin August 31, 2011 at 12:22 am - Reply

Great post! That’s what I needed to hear after I blew it once again today!

6. Rachel Patt August 31, 2011 at 12:25 am - Reply

For the past month I have been struggling through life. School, work, and family responsibilities. With the tornado that ripped through my town on May 22 everything has changed. I have lost my job, at school I feel more alone than ever, my mom has left for school last week for a year. I struggle and have been addicted to awful things. And the worst part: I have been trying to do this on my own. I don’t usually have time to go through my tweets, but today I clicked on yours. You said everything I heard from someone at school and what my best friend has been telling me for two weeks. Thank you!

7. Yvette Hegler August 31, 2011 at 12:29 am - Reply

Thank you so much for posting this today. I also struggle with my weight but unfortunately it has brought on health issues that has forced me to loose weight. I pleaded with God so many times to help me loose weight and He always provided the tools and I utilized them for a while and then went right back to my old habits and because of that at my young age of 42 I am having to deal the circumstances of my over eating. I also have another bad habit I have been trying to break ever since I got saved, I continually shy away from any type of ministry work that I have to really dig deep in God’s word and study scripture in order to lead a ministry. I feel God telling me I need to prepare myself but I always feel like I am just to stupid and do not understand his word enough (even when I do study it) and my ministry will be a failure. I know that is just the work of satan and God wants me to succeed but my old thoughts and past get the best of me. I have a lot of past issues I have not dealt with openly and they are hindering what God is calling me to do. I try to turn to food still but with my health issues it really makes me sick when I do so instead I turn to things of this world like getting to involved with facebook or playing games on facebook. What a waste of time. Thanks for posting Mandisa and thanks for being you.

8. Donese August 31, 2011 at 12:30 am - Reply

Thank you for this message, Mandisa! I often find myself “at the end of my rope,” and forget that is exactly where I’m supposed to be because only then will I realize that I’ve been trying to do everything on my own, without my Savior. Why do we always do these things to ourselves?

9. Kelly August 31, 2011 at 12:31 am - Reply

I totally appreciate this post! Inspired by you I memorized Psalm 18:31-36 over this weekend when I was feeling discouraged about a slow weigtloss week. It has definitely put the spring back in my step! As always…thanks for being real!

10. Mandy Holtsclaw August 31, 2011 at 12:31 am - Reply

I’m so glad to finally hear someone else say what I’ve been saying for so many years about 1 Cor. 10:13. I just told someone the other day that the verse was about God not tempting us more than we could bear, but when tempted he ALWAYS prepares a way out. I told them exactly what you said, that he does put more us than we could bear because if he didn’t we wouldn’t realize our need for him. Enjoyed the blog today!

11. Robin L. August 31, 2011 at 12:33 am - Reply

Thanks my friend needed this today and every day.

12. Candy August 31, 2011 at 12:36 am - Reply

I am going through one of my darkest moments since losing my only child to cancer 10 years ago. I am going through my own journey of cancer. So I needed to see this post at this time in my life. Thanks for sharing, Candy

13. Mandy August 31, 2011 at 12:36 am - Reply

Thank you! So beautifully and honestly worded. Your vulnerability is lovely and encouraging to those of us with similar struggles.

14. Cheri August 31, 2011 at 12:36 am - Reply

Thank you for this post! Just what I needed to hear!

15. Rachel Platt August 31, 2011 at 12:38 am - Reply

Definitely what I needed to hear after a rough day!

16. tracy bates August 31, 2011 at 12:38 am - Reply

Thank you Mandisa! Not only do I need to hear this so very often, my dear friend really needed it. I forwarded her this link. I totally agree with these verses. Sometimes God uses the suffering of this broken world to detatch our hands from the things of this temporary world and attach them to Him. God bless you!

17. Linda Hulse August 31, 2011 at 12:40 am - Reply

Thank you Mandisa for being real. I consider it an act of spiritual warfare when we open up and say it like it is. That ol’ enemy ain’t got NOTHIN’ on us (I know that’s not proper English. ) when we refuse to hide what’s going on inside us. There are countless men and women who go through the exact scenario you just described…including me, but knowing our Deliverer hears our cries for help when we are at the end of our rope means WE WILL NEVER FAIL! Praise be to Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior!

Love your message and your music, Mandisa! You rock big time in my world!

18. Kathy Comeans August 31, 2011 at 12:49 am - Reply

Thank you so much for sharing. I battle the “fight with food” also. I seem to have absolutely no metabolism and have to work very hard to lose weight. In the past I have exercised and still gained weight! I feel I can’t let go mentally and do what God has for me to do until I can get my weight off. I am so embarrassed to be around people! I do well on my diet until someone that is supposed to love me hurts me to the very core, and I can’t deal with the pain – that is when I go to DQ for a peanut buster parfait!!! I need to overcome this — and have such good intentions!!

I agree, God does allow more than we can bear — and we turn to him when we can’t take the pain any longer — that is when God can work more in our lives because we realize we have no strength – we don’t try to do things on our own because we can’t – and we allow God to have control again!

Today I was reading a book on Prayer ad Fasting, it says that God is bigger than our circumstances. I have heard this before, but today it really sunk in. God is bigger than the many problems I have, including this battle with my weight. Getting closer to God can bring healing in our lives. Also, this book says that we know in our hearts that God wants us to do something great through him — but we are too preoccupied with other distractions! We don’t want to wait until we stand before God, and realize it is too late — that we missed out doing what God has for us to do! I want to be there to reach out to hurting people that need to know about God’s love for them, to use the pain I have experienced in life to grow — and to reach out to others, to be the hands and feet of Jesus. But like your scripture says, we have such good intentions but so many times end up defeated!

Thanks for sharing your scripture. It is so encouraging!

19. Tina Benoit August 31, 2011 at 12:50 am - Reply

I needed that! Thank you for posting!
    I’ve also heard it said, “When you get to the end of your rope… let go! One of two things will happen: Either God will catch you… or …. He’ll teach you how to fly!”
    Blessings Galore to you, sister! You are such an encouragement with your honesty and ability to be just be “Real”.

20. Debra August 31, 2011 at 12:51 am - Reply

Thanks for that encouragment…I am sad to say I’m glad I’m not by myself with the weight loss struggle…It is true about misery loves company…thanks to God my misery is getting less & less as I hit my 111# loss mark Glory be to GOD in the highest…hang in there everyone the end is closer than you think in more ways than one..God bless all

21. Sheila August 31, 2011 at 1:02 am - Reply

Mandisa, thank you for sharing this…just what I needed … God bless You more!

22. Bahar Hart August 31, 2011 at 1:06 am - Reply

Thanks so much for sharing this Mandisa, it has given me much to think about in my own peronal relationship with Jesus Christ! I won’t go into detail about what I am going to say however something happened three years ago that affected my walk with & personal relationship with Jesus Christ/God & here I still am struggling b cuz I have not been able to come to terms with what happened! God still heres me & answers my prayers & well as provides for me but I haven’t been able to move forward, I now have a lot of talking to do with God b cuz I cannot contue to live like this anymore! Thanks for giving out a revelation & knowledge for us all to lear from! HUGS. BAHAR HART

23. cheri August 31, 2011 at 1:06 am - Reply

I really needed this God given advice today, it was defiantly one of those days!! I always try to turn to God in my time of need & you & your music help with the inspiration u give me everyday: with your music displaying your true love for God, you inspire us all*

24. Jessica Shipman August 31, 2011 at 1:12 am - Reply

Thank you for this!!! I needed this, I’m struggling so much that I literally feel as if I’m losing my mind at 24 yrs old. I can’t remember what I need to when I need to and there’s not enough time in the day for such a chaotic life! Thank you for lifting me towards Him! You’re awesome through Christ!!

Much Love,
    Jess

25. Mistie Palmer August 31, 2011 at 1:13 am - Reply

Wow! This is so profound. I definately needed to read this. Clarity!

26. Cheri Nelson August 31, 2011 at 1:13 am - Reply

I have been so encouraged By you as a Woman of God and in your Music.I cant wait to see u in MN in October. Your struggle in life has been rough but the changes you have made is giveing the Glory to God and Simmon Cowel can hopefully have a change of heart . God Bless you always.
    Love in Christ

27. Abi Holden August 31, 2011 at 1:14 am - Reply

Thank you for letting me know I am not the only one. I struggle daily with my addiction to food. You are such an inspiration. May God bless you in so many ways for all you do.

Thank you Mandisa!

28. TAMMI TAYLOR August 31, 2011 at 1:26 am - Reply

MANDISA, you are such a inspiration to me what you said is what i needed to day i have lost alot of weight and know you have. but stll have a lot more to lose and get those cravings too. and as you say wasnt for christ in your life then you could nt resist sin. he has helped me so much through my mother death. and losing weight i was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes it beenabout 2 years he has helped me change my thinking and my eating habits. praise to the lord.

29. Tracy August 31, 2011 at 1:33 am - Reply

Thank you so much for that post. So many times I’ve been at the “end of my rope.” But God is always there. He never left me. Each time has made me STRONGER!!!

30. Amanda Beck August 31, 2011 at 1:36 am - Reply

Powerful! Thank you…

31. Michelle Paisley August 31, 2011 at 1:36 am - Reply

Thank you so much for this post, Mandisa….you are speaking my language. I suffer from the same issue and I feel like I will never get free of this stronghold. This gives me some hope. I pray that you and I and all of those out there in the grip of this addiction to food can be released from the bondage in Jesus’ holy name!

32. Jules August 31, 2011 at 1:41 am - Reply

I can’t even begin to tell you how much I needed this. Right here, right now. Thank you for being so “real” and transparent. Thank you for letting God flow through you.

33. Chrystal August 31, 2011 at 1:43 am - Reply

Mandisa, you are such an inspiration to my family! Thank you for reminding us to keep Him in our sight as we struggle through the storms…

34. Cheryl August 31, 2011 at 1:50 am - Reply

Thank you SO much for sharing your heart with us. Your transparency is so inspiring. You are so “real” with us that I find encouragement and inspiration as well as the reminder I need that GOD is the only way to make any of this work.

35. Clifford D. Tate, Sr. August 31, 2011 at 1:59 am - Reply

Wow! I am so taken with how the Lord spoke this truth through you today. I knew you were a great songwriter and singer, but I did not know Christ annoited you with this ability to speak His truth to others struggling with many issues. Keep listening to His still small voice. Thank you for the great convicting, comforting, and curing words from our Operation Manual. P.S. I hope some of us non professional sports stars that are single and love the Lord still have a chance with you…lol

Sincerely in Christ,

Clifford Tate

36. Cathy August 31, 2011 at 2:01 am - Reply

This post could have been written by me. I’ll do really well for a week or a little more and then sabotage myself. This cycle repeats itself over and over again. I’m going to have to read this at least 5 more times. Thanks for being so open and honest!!

37. Hope V. August 31, 2011 at 2:12 am - Reply

I cannot tell you how much this has blessed me. It was exactly what I needed to hear. There is so much I am going through in my life right now. So much pain and challenge and heartache, but through it all I know God has a plan and He is good, all the time.

God is so good to bring a true word in due season when we need to hear it and in such a way that there is no mistaking His hand in it. Thank you Mandisa. God Bless you.

38. Amanda August 31, 2011 at 2:14 am - Reply

Wow, wow, wow! God’s Words through your fingers. Thank you!

39. Kellee August 31, 2011 at 2:16 am - Reply

I just wanted to let you know that I was as Dallas Women of Faith and heard your song “Broken Hallelujah” (for the first time). Thank you! I’ve been going through a rough time recently and a few months ago, I couldn’t sing to God. I wanted to but I just couldn’t get the words out because I was so hurt and broken. That song spoke perfectly what I was feeling. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

40. Elicia August 31, 2011 at 2:20 am - Reply

Your post touch my heart I to am a food adddict and binge eater. I am really am inspired by how GOD has blessed you with wisdom. I needed that Word!

41. Margaret H August 31, 2011 at 2:22 am - Reply

Marilyn Meberg spoke on that very same topic at Women of Faith several years ago. She also wrote a book too called “God at Your Wits End”. Very powerful to think on how when we feel we are backed up into a corner, or that we’ve hit rock bottom, God is there. Thank you for your honesty.

42. Amy Blankenship August 31, 2011 at 2:41 am - Reply

Good point! I had never picked up on the fact that verse says He wil not alow us to be “tempted” beyond what we can handle.
    Also, I just want to encourage you in your weight loss battle. I, too, struggle with being heavy. Thanks to prayer & God using a friend to educate me on whole foods, I have lost 23 lbs so far and I feel so much better!
    Keep your chin up & remember that you are the precious daughter of the King!

43. Heather August 31, 2011 at 2:46 am - Reply

sooooo, appreciate this mandisa… thank you for posting… and so timely! i really need to get in a frame of mind where i begin to make ME a priority – and that means taking care of the body God has given me.

44. slylene August 31, 2011 at 2:49 am - Reply

Thank you for this Mandisa. Well said!
    I just ran into your blog now but will continue to read about what the Lord is doing in your life now that I know its here.
    God bless you!

45. Breanna August 31, 2011 at 2:51 am - Reply

You can’t believe how much I relate to this right now. I constantly find myself trying to rely on my own abilities to get through life, when I really just need to depend on God. I also find it interesting how it says God won’t allow us to go through more temptation than we can handle, not that God won’t give us more life than we can handle. Really interesting. Thanks for being so open, and willing to let God use you to help others!

46. Roseann Woolverton August 31, 2011 at 3:09 am - Reply

Hi , Mandisa
    Thank you for your post . Hope your not at the end of your rope today.
    God Bless ๐Ÿ™‚

47. Jenn August 31, 2011 at 3:18 am - Reply

This post couldn’t have been more timely! Thanks Mandisa for being so real!

48. Carolyn Barnes August 31, 2011 at 3:35 am - Reply

Matthew 5:3 (The Message) says,
    “You’re blessed when you’re at the end of your rope. With less of you there is more of God and his rule”. I have also been working on memorizing scripture and Matthew 5:3-12 was a passage I have recently memorized. So when you are at the end of your rope look up to God and he will be there to help you and bless you. The rest of the verses are also inspirational but I thought it would be best to stick with the topic. Thanks for sharing this because I needed to hear it. ๐Ÿ™‚

49. Emily August 31, 2011 at 3:36 am - Reply

Right on time . Thank you!!!

50. deanna August 31, 2011 at 4:07 am - Reply

Amen and Amen ……………and Amen again!

51. Lewis Thomas August 31, 2011 at 4:52 am - Reply

Happy for u! U see it god. Hope to talk to u soon.

• Lewis Thomas August 31, 2011 at 4:55 am - Reply

U see it god’s way!!! (typing to fast)

52. Brett August 31, 2011 at 7:43 am - Reply

Fantastic post, written well. I can certainly relate and a great encouragement. God bless you!

53. Vicky August 31, 2011 at 10:11 am - Reply

Wow….u r speaking to ME today! Needed that in a big way. Our struggles are the same but we WILL come out Stronger because of Him! Lya Mandisa!

54. Nancy August 31, 2011 at 2:47 pm - Reply

Amen sister! Love it. Keep writing!

55. Greg Creech August 31, 2011 at 2:47 pm - Reply

Much wisdom there, Mandisa. Thanks for the honesty, the new insight about God letting us be in situations beyond our ability to cope so we trust Him, and for the strong words of hope.

56. Elizabeth August 31, 2011 at 2:52 pm - Reply

Sometimes we have to reach the end of our rope so that we can reach for God’s rope and He can pull us out. ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you for your humor, obedience, and honesty.

57. Megan August 31, 2011 at 2:55 pm - Reply

You are definitely preaching to my choir today! I, like you, am a food addict and I try and try and try and try only to be sucked right back into the things I hate—the things that make me miserable. I can feel God’s peace when I am at the end of my rope, but I wish I could cry out to Him sooner than that and stop trying to do it myself BEFORE I get to that end…..Jesus wants us daily—so I know why we all have different thorns! If we didn’t have them, we wouldn’t turn to Him. This is where we as sisters and brothers in Christ need to also lean on each other for encouragement! I am glad that I know you are in it with me, even though I’m not glad you are going through it. Please know how much your transparency and willingness to share is a MAJOR blessing! I hope we can be a blessing to you too!

Peace for you today!
    Megan

58. Kelley August 31, 2011 at 3:24 pm - Reply

I struggle with the very same thing. I have a Binge Eating Disorder. It seems I’ve done all I can to stop. I would do great for a while and then slip and fall way beyond where I started. Gaining rapidly, losing rapidly to only do it all over again. Countless nights ending in tears, worry, fear, begging God to take it all away. There were moments when I felt God truly had freed my from my addiction to only be back failing again. It seems, I am at the end of my rope as well. Only God can save me now.

59. Dianne August 31, 2011 at 3:41 pm - Reply

Mandisa, I LOVED this. I have struggled with my weight my entire life and your testimony is SO encouraging. May God continue to bless you and ministry through your music and testimony.

60. Carol August 31, 2011 at 3:41 pm - Reply

I was talking with someone just the other day about this phrase – “I’m at the end of my rope.” I was told…. “Let go of the rope. That’s where you’ll find God…you gotta give Him the rope.” I don’t need to hang onto “MY” rope. It all made sense then (notice how I didn’t say it made it easy!!) ๐Ÿ™‚ I need to remember that!!!

61. Rita Bragg August 31, 2011 at 3:49 pm - Reply

Thank you SO, SO much for your honesty & vulnerability! I struggle with a food addiction myself. I’ve lost almost 90 lbs over the last two years and still have a ways to go. I’ve learned that just when I think this whole “food thing” is behind me, something will trigger my emotions and before I know it, I’ve polished off a whole pan of brownies. So frustrating. I’ve learned I have to take day by day, sometimes moment by moment.

I am praying for you sister. Thanks again for your honesty.

Rita

62. Cheri M. August 31, 2011 at 5:01 pm - Reply

Oh Mandisa! How inspiring you are! I am so glad you wrote about what 1Cor 10:13 says. It gets misquoted and misunderstood all the time. The way you explain and expound upon it makes it so clear. God is using you in mighty ways!

63. Mary Garner August 31, 2011 at 5:10 pm - Reply

Can I suggest you read Kathryn Kuhlman’s book “I Believe in Miracles” It is an oldy but a goody. Even as Christians things can leech themselves into our lives, and no matter who we are God doesn’t want us bound by anything like addiction or sickness. I’ve owned this book for years and had even let other people borrow it to read it.. I finally pulled it out to read it, and what an encouraging anointed book it is. I hope you can and will read it. You are in my prayers. God bless you in all aspects of your life.

64. Dawn August 31, 2011 at 8:24 pm - Reply

I’ve been praying for a word like this from God… I’ve spent several days this week in hiding, feeling sorry for myself and eating myself sick.
    Thank you for listening to th Holy Spirit within you.

65. Hannah September 1, 2011 at 9:50 am - Reply

Thanks Mandisa for posting this it was really encouraging. I never even knew there was a scripture like this in the bible. I tend to waste lots of time on things that aren’t important and sometimes forget God and when I remember I feel guilty and try to hide until he reminds me that his strength is made perfect in my weakness and he will forgive if i ask and forsake my sins. I crawl back ask for forgiveness and leave smiling.
    God bless youx

66. Lynn Smith September 4, 2011 at 3:11 am - Reply

You are an awesome vessel for the Lord and you have come a long way! God bless you always and keep doing what your doing for Jesus. You are an inspiration to me. I have 90 pounds I am trying to shed and it is not easy. I will keep you in my prayers that you continue to do God’s will. God bless you!

67. Kim Thorpe September 5, 2011 at 3:20 am - Reply

Powerful message, Mandisa. It’s exactly what I needed to hear tonight. Thank you for sharing your journey with us and being real, struggles and all. God bless you!

68. Judy September 5, 2011 at 3:56 pm - Reply

Mandisa, I just finished reading your book “Idol Eyes.” I relate so much to your story. Thanks for being real with us. The Lord uses you to encourage many with your ministry and your music. “God Speaking” is one the songs that I’ve sung for women’s events. In my own journey, I’ve been through the closest, most intimate times with the Lord and also the more distant, “funk” times with Him. Thank you for what you do and who you are in Christ. Keep your eyes on Him!!!

69. Saundra Dalton-Smith September 15, 2011 at 12:21 am - Reply

This post is so encouraging. I’ve been at that place so many times in my life. I write about my personal struggle with food and the steps I took to overcome my food addiction here: http://j.mp/nYktKE . Praying these steps will help someone else break free from this cycle.

70. Ashley Mutiso November 2, 2011 at 5:59 pm - Reply

I can totally relate!!!! this is just the message I have been looking for to deal with stuff… I love the way God is using you to get to other people.. May He continue blessing you exceedingly abundantly above all things…

71. Marc November 11, 2011 at 1:57 pm - Reply

May GOD bless you Mandisa!!!

72. anne June 24, 2012 at 7:46 am - Reply

Mandisa – I just sang “Stronger” to my family at a time when we really needed it. Thank you for writing such an amazing song and for posting this. <3

73. Michelle WB July 28, 2013 at 6:55 pm - Reply

Hi Mandissa! Thank you so much for your encouraging words. It is beautiful to see how God is using you. I have a friend that would love to meet you if possible. She will be attending the concert in the Washington DC area. I know that you probably get requests like this on a regular basis, but I just thought I would take the chance to see if it were possible. She has expressed on many occasions that your song “stronger” has gotten her through an extremely tough time that she is experiencing right now. My friend’s name is Christy. She doesn’t know I am writing to you. To read about her family’s story, please visit : http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/matthewdavid1/mystory Thank you in advance, and God Bless.

74. Darice H Oxendine September 1, 2013 at 4:29 am - Reply

My little girl who is 15 months is in Intensive Care we have been here for 10 days. She has diabetes and we did not know it by the time we got to the hospital her sugar was 1,000. It was by God’s grace that she didnโ€™t go into a diabetic coma. While they were putting her breathing tube in she aspirated which led to her having to be on life support and dialysis. Today the day you posted this, in short the doctors told us they had done everything they could. I simply said they have but God hasn’t my husband and I said that they were at the end of their rope and so were we. But when the rope runs out the hem of his garment appears. We are fully trusting in God through this and anticipate the total healing of our daughter. I was typing on her log I’m keeping through this trial. I wanted to read some on reaching the end of your rope and your site was the first one I came to. You posted this today if for no one else for me. Thank you for being obedient. It was my kiss I needed from God to assure me that everything was going to be fine in his time. Her name is Reegan please rememeber her name you’ll see it on a poster as a presenter for Women of Faith one day. God Bless you sister from a songbird just like you. -Darice

75. Bright4Jesus October 3, 2013 at 12:30 am - Reply

Hi Mandisa, (Hope you see this!)
    Thank you so much for posting this article and for being such an
    inspiration to so many people. I love you and your music. I love your
    upbeat attitude despite all of the struggles you have gone through.
    You’re such a joy to watch when you perform and during your interviews.
    Please don’t ever stop!
    God bless you and all that you do.
    Thanks again and Happy Birthday!

Love, Bright