An Eternal Perspective

//An Eternal Perspective

If you’ve been to one of my concerts, you may have heard me talk about followers of Christ having resurrection power. That same power that raised a man from the dead can raise us from [insert impossible situation here]. Jesus said that, “whoever believes in Me will be able to do what I have done, but they will do even greater things…” (John 14:12) I don’t know about you, but there are some situations I am praying for that could really use some supernatural resurrection power!

But here is what I realized recently: In order for there to be a resurrection, there must first be a death. I was reading John 11, where Lazarus dies and Jesus resurrected him. I was was struck by Jesus’ words about Lazarus in John 11:4, “His sickness will not end in his death but will bring great glory to God…” I guess the thing that hit me is that I saw what happened as a contradictory statement upon first reading that verse. Mary and Martha sent word to Jesus while Lazarus was sick so He could heal him and prevent his death. But instead of rushing to the bedside of “the one He loved”, Jesus stayed where he was, and Lazarus DID die. First, why didn’t Jesus go immediately? And second, why did Jesus say Lazarus wouldn’t die? Then I re-read verse 4. Jesus didn’t actually say Lazarus wouldn’t die. He said that Lazarus’ sickness wouldn’t END in death. It seems that death was the necessary ingredient for God to be glorified through Lazarus’ resurrection.

How much more does that apply to our Savior? Jesus’ story didn’t end on the cross with His death either. No! HE ROSE! HE LIVES!

So how does this apply to us? It gives us an eternal perspective. I have prayed (and continue praying) for many things without seeing the answer I was hoping for at the time I wanted; dreams I have for ministry, marriage, my brother’s salvation, my friend Kisha’s healing from breast cancer, I could go on and on… Knowing that God specializes in making the impossible possible for His glory, and knowing that His timetable and His plans are not mine, fuels my faith to keep pressing on. It also gives me peace to know that even when things don’t happen the way I want them to, God’s eternal, big-picture perspective is so much larger than the miniscule, dark glass I am currently looking through.

When we are tempted to doubt God’s ways, let’s cling to Jesus’ promise in John 11:40, “Remember, I told you that if you believe, you will see the glory of God.”

I believe. Do you?

2013-10-16T22:15:21+00:00Oct 16th|Blog|8 Comments

1. Dana Beeson October 21, 2013 at 2:17 am - Reply

I wanted the opportunity to tell you how much your songs have meant to me. My whole life I have lived in fear. I was physically and emotionally abused as a child. There was severe domestic violence. By the time I was a teenager, I had an eating disorder and cutting myself. I’ve struggled with these issues on and off for years. I am 38 years old and still struggle. This past April I fell into the worst depression of my life. By June, I had no fight left and the pain was horrible. I attempted to take my life. I overdosed on Valium. I spent a week in the hospital, but I couldn’t shake it. I got worse instead of better. The cutting was intense. The thoughts of suicide were huge. I couldn’t run from it. I tried to pray but I just couldn’t connect with God. My prayers hit the ceiling and bounced back down. On August 30th of this year, I flew to Chicago to enroll in a residential treatment program for depression and self harm. It was the hardest time of my life. I left my husband and kids, my job, my friends, and went for help alone. It was my last resort. I spent 30 days away from home. As hard as it was, God found me there. My therapist had me make a list of all the lies Satan was telling me and combat them with scripture. It was eye opening! I set by the pond and prayed. Someone from my church mailed me your Overcomer CD. I would lay in bed at night during my treatment and listen to Overcomer over and over again. What a blessing! I am back home and on a full road to recovery. I know God sees me and He cares. I love him and he loves me, faults and all. For the first time today, I gave my testimony in Sunday School. Crying the whole time, I stumbled through it. When I finished, I played the song “Scars” for the class. My arms and legs are healing, but the scars are bad. Praise God, as of today, I am 6 1/2 weeks self harm free!
    I got back from treatment in time to go to the fair this year. I got to see your amazing concert at the Dixie Classic Fair in Winston Salem, NC. You were amazing! I didn’t realize you were doing a meet and greet or I would LOVE to hug your neck! You have so blessed my life!
    This post speaks to me too. This illness has tried to take my life. I had to die to see God. He is going to make something wonderful out of it!! I hope to help other girls see their way out of depression and cutting. I can show them my arms and legs too. Like your song states, These scars aren’t pretty but their apart of me They remind me of His faithfulness and what he brought me through. That’s what my scars are for.

2. weight loss October 28, 2013 at 6:38 am - Reply

An Eternal Perspective » Mandisa Official

3. w hetzer October 28, 2013 at 12:54 pm - Reply

Keep singing girl!!!!! You have brought me to tears with your message. I am a big tough football coach who has been humbled by your music. Will Hetzer

4. Jessica Hyde October 30, 2013 at 8:03 pm - Reply

Hi Mandisa,
    I just wanted to say how much I appreciate you and your stand for our Savior. You give the Lord the glory in every situation I have seen you in. Your new song “thats what scars are for” feels like it was written for my life. I would like to tell you a little bit about my story- actually I like to think of it as the Lords story.
    When I was 18 years old I started feeling the symptoms of what I thought was a sinus infection. I went on several antibiotics and the symptoms never went away. Finally I got sent to an ear nose and throat specialist and he discovered something in my sinuses. I was sent for an emergency CT scan. The results were not good. There was a tumor that filed my left sinus cavity, part of my right sinus cavity and went down my throat. The tumor bumped up against my brain and bumped up against my spine. The doctors still were not sure what it was. Finally after a biopsy it was discovered that I had a rare form of cancer called nasopharyngeal carcinoma. I had between stage 3 and stage 4 cancer. I was sent to UCSF for a special type of radiation. I had 45 minutes of radiation a day 5 days a week where my face was bolted into a tight mesh mask. I also had chemotherapy on top of that. Due to the radiation I had severe burns on the inside and outside of my throat. I was fed by a feeding tube and practically bed ridden.
    If I did not have Christ this would have just seemed like a wasted tragedy but the Lord was doing so much in my heart during this time. I had grown up in church my whole life. My dad is an elder and my whole family is very involved in serving. I had a lot of head knowledge about the ways of the Lord but during my sickness the Lord gave me the heart understanding that I needed. He stripped everything away from me that I had relied on in my own strength. My hair was gone and I was puffed up on steroids- so there went the looks. I was bed ridden so I couldn’t see my friends very often. I had to quit work and college. The Lord showed me that He wanted me to love Him for who He was not for good circumstances or for dreams realized but just for His unending love and mercy. Also, there were several times when I did not know if I would make it through the night and so I was faced with eternity. I realized that I had to surrender my whole life to the Lord. My dreams, my ambitions, my present and my future. I had dreamed of being married and being a mom my whole life but the Lord wanted me to trust Him that He knew what was best for me and what was going to bring Him the most glory.
    I am 31 years old now, and glory be to God I have been in remission for 12 years but I have many “scars” left over from the situation. My voice is distorted due to the fact that one of my vocal chords is paralyzed, my soft palate does not work and my tongue is partially paralyzed. I am extremely self conscious about my voice and consider it my thorn in the flesh but the Lord has shown me he has a reason for everything. Due to the fact that my voice is different people realize that I have been through something hard and they take the time to listen. I have had many opportunities to share my testimony and give Christ the glory because of my circumstances.
    Also, I have a serious and potentially fatal condition called osteoradionecrosis due to the radiation. The bone looses its blood supply and starts dying off. I have it in the back of my head and now it has spread to my spine. There is a verse that says the Lord upholds my head and that is literal for me 🙂 Every day He keeps me alive is a miracle and a blessing.
    I am still fed by a feeding tube but glory be to God that we are in a country where that is even possible,
    These are my scars that show that pain is real, suffering is inevitable, but Jesus is faithful and never fails on any of His promises. He is a good God.
    I am still single and waiting on the Lord for a husband-if that be His will. I have 2 nephews that bring me great joy. My greatest joy however I have found to come from being able to testify of God’s goodness even in tough circumstances. Life doesn’t always go as we planned but God always has a plan full of hope. When we put our lives in His hands we will never be disappointed. My prayer is that I can reach people with the hope of the gospel and win souls for the Savior.
    I hope one day to meet you in person, but until then my friend keep testifying for the Savior. We need more people who are willing to be lighthouses for His kingdom.

5. Jill Eden November 2, 2013 at 4:10 am - Reply

Dear Mandisa,

I would like to tell you about an awesome non-profit, Beauty From Ashes (TM) Ministries (beautyfromashes.org) that is dear to my heart. It is Florida’s 1st and oldest human trafficking SURVIVOR-LED, community service agency. The founder, Julie Shematz, does equine assisted therapy, art therapy, talk therapy, and more to help restore victims of sexual exploitation. She not only is an overcomer, her white Appaloosa colt is one too, as he was born with a disease that Julie is determined to help him overcome, and he is doing great! I’m so happy to be a volunteer with her organization and to take part in the fight to restore people to God’s plan for victims lives.

Julie would like to use one of your songs in her organization. Overcomer is such a powerful, uplifting, awesome song. Could you please let us know how to do that? I looked for a better way to address this, but I hope you don’t mind me starting here.

Thank you, you are so blessed. Thank you for blessing us with your music!

Jill
    Beauty From Ashes(TM) Ministries
    Where Victims Become Overcomers

P.S. You are coming to town in a couple of weeks. We hope to see you there!

6. Nicole Brown November 10, 2013 at 2:04 pm - Reply

Hi Mandisa,

Thank you for being a light in the midst of darkness. The music business has a habit of eating people up and spitting them out; yet you seem to be continually connected to God through our Lord and Savior. I am truly inspired by the music you make and the way you choose to live your life. Believe it or not, my husband who is incarcerated asked me if I had ever heard of you because he had heard one a few of your songs from a guard while working. For a while I didn’t follow up on finding your music because of my work schedule and my same ole cd I’d play while driving. Finally, my husband asked me if I’d ever heard of K-Love. I told him no, but I would put it on the next time I got in the car. I haven’t turned it off since then! Unless I wanna repeat my Mandisa songs I purchased online and loaded to my mp3! As a taxi driver, and a disciple of God, the music I play set’s the tone for the experience my riders have while with me. Hearing songs like “Overcomer” and “Stronger” are always good to have on standby because often times I am caught up in situations where God allows me to minister to my passengers who are going through and really need to be encouraged. In addition to your blessing of inspirational and uplifting music, which is soooo needed in this day and time, I’d like to thank you for your inspirational weight loss journey. I too have struggled with my weight all of my life and am now in a place where I don’t wanna lose weight for myself, but to be all that God has called me to be. One of the fruit of the Spirit is self-control. If I can’t control my weight and my eating, as well as how much I move my body, how can I function at the level at which God has called me to? So again….thank you, from the bottom of my heart, and I look forward to supporting you and your music for as long as the Lord allows! To God be the glory!

7. Danielle R. November 25, 2013 at 8:13 pm - Reply

Hi Mandisa!

Your song, Overcomer, really helped me out. I was having some issues with school and my grades were really low. I was in play productions, so I didn’t have any time to study. I remember hating when my mom picked me up and brought me home. I hated being at home. The play helped me escape life, and when it ended, I was stuck with low grades and totally depressed. I had a 74 in my math class and 75 in my english class. I’m in honors in both of those, and both of my honors teachers pulled me aside and said if those grades aren’t pulled up by the end of the term, I wouldn’t be in honors next year. So I was really depressed and under pressure and I remember a lot of nights in bed I’d pray to God just to end my life right then and there. I couldn’t take it anymore. Then I kept on hearing your song on 88.1 WAY-FM and it really changed me. I came to your most recent concert, and I really wanted to tell you in person, but I didn’t have a chance. Thanks for all you do, and may God bless you!

8. Cindy Flentie January 21, 2014 at 12:28 am - Reply

Mandisa, I am a huge fan of your music. Every time I listen to one of your songs I feel a peace beyond comprehension wash over me. Your song Overcomer is a song that I hold close to my heart. My daughter has been having some health problems, headaches, joint and muscle pain and no energy for about 6 months. During this time no one could figure out why she was feeling the way she was. For the past couple months I would listen to this song at least daily to keep my faith that we would figure out the problem and my daughter would overcome whatever it was that was making her feel so poorly. Well on January 15th we found she had hydrocephalus (water on the brain). However, we didn’t know the cause until they did a MRI and they found an obstruction. The next day the did a procedure to fix this problem. We are now home. My daughter feels better that she has in a very long time. The song “Overcomer” is now her theme song. Our family dances around the house when we hear it.
    God has given you a very special gift in the music you sing and write. You change lives everyday with your work. Thank you a million times for giving my family a message from God to keep us going! May God continue to use you to do his work!