Identity Statements-Recognize, Replace, Repeat!

//Identity Statements-Recognize, Replace, Repeat!

Many of you reading this blog are part of the Proverbs 31 Made to Crave Online Bible Study. If you are not, let briefly explain that Proverbs 31 Ministries offers incredible online Bible studies that bring real hope to real life. Years ago, P31 president, Lysa TerKeurst and I became friends. She allowed me to read an advance copy of her book, Made to Crave (M2C) and it changed my perspective on my weight, my body, and my God. As someone who has always struggled in this area, Lysa’s fresh take on satisfying our deepest desires with God, not food, opened my eyes to something much broader in this battle that so many of us fight. But as with any victory, those in battle gain ground one step at a time. When a warrior’s opponent sucker punches them and causes a stumble, it is easy to slip back and lose ground. No battle can be won alone. It takes an army to defeat and enemy. I consider the 43,000+ of us participating in this 6-week online Bible study a powerful army of the Lord, clothed in spiritual armor, and taking back the ground the enemy has tried to rob us of! If you are interested in joining us, we’re just 2 weeks in; it’s not too late! Click here for more information.

Chapter 5 of of M2C is about God making us for more than the vicious cycle of victory, failure, shame, and hopelessness. I have fallen into this pit of defeat so many times that I have decorated it and scratched my name in cement at the bottom, as if by doing so I permanently claimed it as part of my identity. But as Lysa encourages readers to do in the section called “Embrace a True Identity”, we have to replace the lies we have believed from the enemy with the truth of who God says we are. I have struggled with this since I was a child. I was always…

Mandisa, the baby whose parents got divorced.

Mandisa, the girl who was molested from age 6 to 10.

Mandisa, the victim who was raped at 16.

Mandisa, the fat contestant Simon Cowell made jokes about on season 5 of American Idol.

Mandisa, the 9th place finisher who lost over 100 pounds.

Mandisa, the loser who put a lot of that weight back on.

As harsh as many public comments can be, what others have said about me pales in comparison to what I have often berated myself with. Isn’t it interesting that many of us will declare things about ourselves that we would never say to anyone else? I have had moments when I would look in the mirror in disgust, point at my reflection, and lay into the horrific creature I saw standing before me. One of Satan’s most effective tactics is to constantly whisper his lies into our ears:

“You’re never going to be delivered from this.”

“What happened to this all-surpassing power you’re supposed to have?”

“You’re disgusting!”

“God must be so ashamed of you.”

“You’re a disgrace!”

“____________ did it. Why can’t you? Because you’re hopeless!”

Bit by bit, the Father of Lies gains ground, and before we know it, we have begun to believe, accept, and even verbalize his twisted deceptions as part of our identity. It’s no wonder that the Bible has so much to say about the power of our thoughts and words.

It is not enough to try to ignore this distortion of truth. If I told you not to think about the enticing red light of a Krispy Kreme “Hot Now” sign, what is the first thing that comes to your mind?

KK Hot Now

Get behind me, devil! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Rather than attempting to turn a blind eye to these thoughts, we must learn to do what 2 Corinthians 10:5 says,

“We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.” (NIV, emphasis mine)

We can’t just overlook these crafty, underhanded schemes of our Accuser. On the contrary, by the power of the Holy Spirit, I choose to RECOGNIZE Satan’s lie, REPLACE it with God’s truth, and REPEAT! In chapter 5 of M2C, Lysa shared a powerful list of Bible verses that show who God says we are. Another one of my favorite teachers, Steve Berger from Grace Chapel in Lieper’s Fork, TN did a series about “Winning the Mind Wars” with the Word of God. In it, he too compiled scriptures that he turned into prayers that replace the enemy’s lies with Biblical truth. I keep these “Pre-Scripture Prayers” in my purse and Recognize, Replace, and Repeat out loud many times a week.

Another way that I saturate myself with truth is through Christian music. I can’t explain why the combination of music and scripture is so powerful; I just know that it is. I’ve compiled a list of songs I listen to when I need to renew my mind and proclaim my identity in Christ.ย  Click here to listen to my free Spotify “Identity in Christ” playlist. Below are some videos I found for every song on this list. When you hear an identity statement from scripture, I encourage you to speak (or sing) each of these statements out loud. If you don’t know the verse location the lyric comes from, use your search engine and look it up. Jot the verse down on a note card, and the next time you are facing a mental battle, pull it out, blast this playlist, and RENEW your mind by RECOGNIZING, REPLACING, and REPEATING!

“Overcomer”-Mandisa

“You Are More”-Tenth Avenue North

“Gold”-Britt Nicole

“I’m Not Who I Was”-Brandon Heath

“True Beauty-me again

“Redeemed”-Big Daddy Weave

“Wanted”-Dara Maclean

“Hello, My Name Is”-Matthew West

“In the Eyes”-1 Girl Nation

“Not Guilty”-what can I say? My music reflects what God is teaching me. Obviously He’s trying to nail this whole identity down in me!

“Burn Bright”-Natalie Grant

“Unstoppable”-Tobymac

“We Are”-Kari Jobe

“The Truth About Me”-Last one..I promise!

Which of the identity statements you heard in these songs do you feel God wants you to focus on and accept as truth in your life? What is the scripture reference for that statement? Finally, what other songs would you add to this playlist that proclaims the identity we have as followers of Christ?

2014-01-30T06:51:39+00:00 Jan 30th|Blog|92 Comments

1. […] « Identity Statements-Recognize, Replace, Repeat! […]

2. Seth Touchton January 30, 2014 at 7:03 am - Reply

I think that is the first time I have broken down in tears while reading a blog post. God bless you, sister. I have been struggling with the same sin for over six years, and I feel that way sometimes. “Why even try? I’m just going to fail again.” God has used your art, your ministry in music, to grow me so much. I still struggle with depression, daymares, nightmares, and other freaky mental disorders. But no matter what, God is still there. And like you said above, it’s time for us to recognize, bring the enemy out of HIS comfort zone, and put him to shame! And then do it again! Thank you so much for everything you do in the glorious Name of the Lord. I’m continually praying for you! Maybe I’ll be able to meet you one day, whether on earth or in Heaven above!

In God’s Love,
    Seth Touchton

3. Stacy January 30, 2014 at 7:15 am - Reply

Yes! That was simply beautiful. Although weight has not been an issue I’ve really struggled with, I so identify with berating the girl in the mirror. I’ve done that so many times. God is teaching me to love ME for the person He made me to be, not the person I wish I that I was. Like you said, though, we wouldn’t talk to other people the way we talk to ourselves. I’m a sign language interpreter and when I was in college for that, in one of my classes we learned about meta-talk (self-talk) and how much brain power that uses. The point being, when you mess up interpreting, you can’t let your mind start going down the rabbit hole of “oh, that was wrong! What was I thinking? I’m such a lousy interpreter. I shouldn’t be here,” etc. etc. By doing that, it uses up your mental energy and you can’t focus on and properly interpret the incoming message. I think that applies here as well. “Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable–if anything is excellent or praiseworthy–think about such things.” Yes and AMEN!

~Stacy

4. Molly Hughes January 30, 2014 at 7:17 am - Reply

My sister in Christ. Our battle is the same. I just wrote about defeat on Sunday.

I refuse to allow the enemy to steal the freedom that is mine as a child of God!

5. Jenny Kozar January 30, 2014 at 7:21 am - Reply

Hello my name is…Child of the one true King!!!
    Amen Mandisa thank you thank you thank you for your
    Beautiful words your spirit that shows me our Lord in so many beautiful ways.
    Your songs are always on my playlist. Thank you for the reminder that we are SO much more then this weight we carry. Be Blessed!!

6. Corinna January 30, 2014 at 7:24 am - Reply

Thank you for this life-empowering blog, Mandisa!

7. Rebecca Jo January 30, 2014 at 7:25 am - Reply

Thank you for all the songs. God speaks to my heart through music so well, so I’ll be on replay all day long ๐Ÿ™‚
    (Speaking of which – THANK YOU for doing a remix of Press On. Phil 3:14 is my LIFE VERSE – I have Press On written everywhere – even on a bracelet I wear daily – so that remix version song? Every race I run, its my start song & song I play to get to the finish line!!

Thank you for your post today as well. You used the word “disgusting” & that is the word Satan whispers to me every day… He’s not original though, is he? He uses it on many… but Jesus is full of so many more words, beautiful words to describe us ๐Ÿ™‚

8. kim stewart January 30, 2014 at 7:27 am - Reply

Mandisa, WOW what great inspiration today for me to find my identity in Jesus! Thanks for sharing. Kim, fellow OBS’er and a hopeful Overcomer!

9. Tracy Bates January 30, 2014 at 7:32 am - Reply

Mandisa, I am struggling with this very thing right now. I share a past very similar to yours. I have wondered why I haven’t just become strong enough (through the Lord’s power) to get my health on track. Then I read this blog ( http://www.christianitytoday.com/le/2014/january-online-only/way-of-weakness.html?visit_source=facebook ) and I realized I am just fine. I am working and God is working on me. How much would I need Him if he just gave me what I wanted and I was then able to accomplish it on my own? Not very much. I would say thank you, and then I would continue down the road to the next obstacle and I would try to tackle it on my own. I am learning so much about my struggle when I read honest blogs like yours, Mandisa. Thank you so very much for being open and transparent. I love that YOU ARE REAL!!!

10. Melissa January 30, 2014 at 7:35 am - Reply

Thank you so very much, Mandisa. You are such a special person and I truly enjoy your music and the way you show your love for God. Your “Overcomer” song truly speaks to me, in several ways. First, I will be a 9 year breast cancer survivor on Feb. 15th, 2014. Praise God! Second, I have had struggles with my weight for most of my 53 years. But, listening to “Overcomer” reminds me to “stay in the fight “’til the final round”. I will continue with Made2Crave OBS and prayerfully and hopefully be successful with my weight loss this time.
    Thank you for your ministry. God Bless You!

11. Linda January 30, 2014 at 7:41 am - Reply

Thank you so much so needed this today. Going through struggles my self. Having surgery in a couple of weeks to remove a mass and check for cancer. I know God is my healer and He is not through with yet, no matter the lies of the enemy. I have listened to Toby Mac’s Redeemed video at least 2-3 everyday. thanks again for being such and encouragement and sharing your struggles.

12. Audra January 30, 2014 at 7:45 am - Reply

Thank you for keeping it real & being so open & honest with us. I am going to write out those pre-scripture prayers to keep with me at all times. Your playlist has some of my favorite songs. I LOVE “Overcomer”. To pick 1 line “Hello my name is Child of the One True King” in Matthew West’s song. These songs are all amazing though.

Thank you for your insight into this being a victorious battle. There are time we may get stuck down, it’s easy to give up then. However, to win he battle we must get up, dust off & continue forward!!

Thanks for sharing!

13. Megan January 30, 2014 at 7:55 am - Reply

Thank you for sharing your journey with all of us, and taking this journey with me and the 43,000 other beautiful ladies (and a couple of gentlemen). I have been caught up in the lies of the enemy for most of my life, I was always the “bigger” sister or “bigger” cousin, the” bigger” friend…my confidence was shot down more times than I can think, but honestly the “shooter” was usually myself. Looking in the mirror and repeating to myself, you are fat, how could your husband ever find you attractive…what I know now (and should have known all along) is I was and am made for so much more than that…I am the daughter of the One true KING, I am the mother of 3 beautiful children, I am the wife of an amazing God fearing man, I am a friend, I AM SO MUCH MORE!

Thank you again for all that you do and bring to so many through your music and words!

Blessings & Love,
    Megan (MTC OBS Group 53)

14. cyrille ogot January 30, 2014 at 8:06 am - Reply

Mandisa i listen to you ever since i discovered twenty the countdown magazine with John rivers on Family radio from Kenya in Africa…u have really helped me stand firm on my salvation walk through your music ministry…i truely admire u and would love to meet you one day..may God bless your ministry… May be to add on your playlist Mathew West strong enough God bless and i was really happy for you as u won the Gramy’s in absentia our God is truely awsome.

15. Melisa Jones January 30, 2014 at 8:08 am - Reply

I liked you on accident. I started reading your blogs because they are in my page. You see my life is a path of dysfunction that led me to an abusive relationship with a black man who’s black wife said I deserved it because I am white woman. I have kept my distance and rejected almost everything not in my comfort zone. I struggled with who I am and self esteem. Your songs and blog help me see people not the color of a persons skin. Thank you for your blogs they do bring healing.
    Melisa

• Mandisa January 31, 2014 at 1:17 am - Reply

Wow Melisa! I cannot tell you what your comment means to me. I so appreciate your honesty in sharing that. As a Black woman in a predominantly White Contemporary Christian Music industry, I have begun to see a small part of my calling as a bridge-builder. I believe that the dividing walls that Satan has tried to resurrect between race, denomination, and culture among Christians can be torn down brick by brick if we are willing to speaking the truth in love to each other. You have done that today, and I appreciate you for it. Thank God that we are works in progress that He will never leave of forsake, amen?!

16. Laurie Jeffries January 30, 2014 at 8:12 am - Reply

Laurie, the girl who took a box of diet pills at 16 in a feeble attempt to end the pain.
    Laurie, the young lady whose father killed himself when she was 20.
    Laurie, the woman who found out she had permanent kidney damage at 26.
    Laurie, who lost most of the use of her right hand at 40.
    Laurie, who got breast cancer at 45 and had both breasts removed.
    Laurie, who looks in the mirror at her lack of hair and concave chest and wants to cry.

Laurie the OVERCOMER who is STRONGER (Mandisa) because God “has her back.”
    Laurie, who listens to the VOICE OF TRUTH (Casting Crowns) instead of the lies.
    Laurie, who knows that God loves her MORE (Matthew West).
    Laurie, who knows that IN CHRIST ALONE (Kristian Stanfill) is where her strength lies.
    Laurie, who will GO LIGHT YOUR (her) WORLD (Chris Rice).
    Laurie, who knows that ALL THINGS (are) POSSIBLE (Mark Schultz)
    Laurie, who knows that BY HIS WOUNDS she is healed (Brian Littrell, Mac Powell, Mark Hall, and Steven Curtis Chapman).
    Laurie, who knows that it is all ONLY A MOUNTAIN (Jason Castro).

Mandisa, thank you for putting it all out there for us. Truly, your music helped me tremendously while I was fighting breast cancer. Stay strong and know that this world and all its pain are temporary. In the words of C. S. Lewis, โ€œThere are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.โ€

• Robin January 30, 2014 at 9:39 pm - Reply

Laurie, Thank you so much for being so vulnerable and sharing all of that. The further I got with your last half of “who you are” with the songs tied in, the more the tears rolled down my face. You have had to face much more than I have had to face in my life and yet you have changed your attitude about who you are and have turned it around. That is so encouraging! I especially love the Mandisa songs, Casting Crowns and Matthew West and have all of those on my iPod playlist. You have touched my heart in a profound way tonight and I thank you for that!

God Bless you!!

17. Tracy January 30, 2014 at 8:13 am - Reply

Mandissa,
    I am doing the M2C OBS also …
    In Shelly Faust’s introduction to the Blog Hop she talked about the community we are in and how it is wonderful how we connect. I really connected with your post … it’s like you were in my head. I’ve had very similar moments in front of my mirror. I struggle to see myself as God sees me. I am DETERMINED to change that voice in my head … my new way of thinking is “SHUT UP,SATAN … I BELONG TO JESUS”.
    Thank you for sharing these video selections, I love every one of these too ๐Ÿ™‚

18. Sharon Glenn January 30, 2014 at 8:20 am - Reply

Dearest Mandisa,

I find myself struggling all the time with self worth. I find reading or listening to God’s messages helps! You’re songs, Overcomer and Good Morning, are 2 of my favorites! Thank you for allowing God to spread His Love and Word through you! We saw you in concert with TobyMac when you were in Huntsville, AL…..AWESOME show.

And I would just like to add…..I never remembered or identified you as any of those things you mentioned…I remembered and was so impressed with you on American idol when you sang Shackles and Simon gave you such a hard time with it…I remember thinking WOW what a great soldier of Christ!

Please keep doing what your doing because I believe God is using you in a VERY BIG WAY!

Much love in Christ’s name,
    Sharon Glenn

19. Katrina January 30, 2014 at 8:22 am - Reply

This message came at the perfect time! I’ve really been struggling with this and have been feeling bogged down by depression. A lot of it has to do with the enemy’s lies. I love ‘recognize, replace, repeat’. It’s perfect and I’ll be using it from now on. It’s hard to remember that God doesn’t see us in all those ways without remembering to look to his truth. You are such an inspiration because of your honesty and your faith. Thank you for being so open.

20. Renee January 30, 2014 at 8:23 am - Reply

Mandisa, you are a true blessing and I appreciate your vulnerability. Thanks for being a light for the Lord. Your song, Overcomer, is (as my dear friend says) my jam! I have deep wounds from my past that only our Father could heal and he did. While I still struggle with some things (my weight/finances), He is faithfully working in me. You are such a blessing. Thanks again, so much.

21. Michelle Taylor January 30, 2014 at 8:24 am - Reply

Thank you so much for sharing your heart with us. I had no idea you endured so much. This makes me appreciate you even more. You are definitely an overcomer! Thank you for these words of encouragement and for the awesome song list. I can’t wait to listen to them after work today. I will pray for your journey through the M2C Bible Study. I am learning to crave Him more and more every day and I am honored to be doing this study with you and 43,000 ladies! Stay strong!

22. Seth Araset January 30, 2014 at 8:38 am - Reply

I have been inspired by the blog.
    Thank you for blessing my soul.
    God bless you.

23. Laura January 30, 2014 at 8:38 am - Reply

I’ve been listening to Enough by Jason Castro a lot lately. I’ve been struggling a lot lately with thinking that I’ll never be enough for God, enough for my children, enough for any man to love, etc. I also listen to Gold and Overcomer often!!!

24. Rachel Wright January 30, 2014 at 8:50 am - Reply

WOW Mandisa I am seriously impressed with your sincere outright honesty. Girl, you are so transparent in this and it’s something I struggle with daily as well. I hear those voices tell who I was in the past, I am learning through another Bible Study called Beauty for Ashed by Joyce Meyer to stop those voices and listen only to God’s voice.
    God is so amazing that He brought me to a place where all I can do now is focus on Him, listen to only Christian music, read my Bible and Christian books, I don’t even want to see what the world has to offer me because I know our God offers more and much better.

25. Jessica January 30, 2014 at 8:51 am - Reply

Mandisa, Thank you Thank you and Thank you!! I totally cried reading this! How many time the father of lies has entered our beliefs and minds. Everytime i hear a lie I try to replace it with God’s truth. I love you honesty. Sometimes I think it is hard for us to admit the things we struggle with. You give so much hope and inspiration to so many!! I think you are amazing and beautiful inside and out. You are a true ambassador for Christ and I thank you!!

26. Sarah Rose January 30, 2014 at 8:56 am - Reply

Mandisa—Thank you for being so honest and real about everything you go through. Your music has been touching my heart in brand new ways. I’ll admit that I avoided the song “Overcomer” for a long time. If it came on the radio, I turned it low. If I saw you post about it on your Facebook page, I simply didn’t read it. I was being stubborn because I didn’t feel like an overcomer…but between God’s word, the online Bible study from Proverbs 31, and the truth you sing in your music (and many other Christian artist!), my heart is changing and I’m realizing that God can help me overcome this battle!!! ๐Ÿ™‚ Infact, just today, I weighed in and realized that I’ve hit 70 pounds lost. It’s taken me two years and I still have 160 more pounds to go, but it’s happening. I am an OVERCOMER!

27. Brandi January 30, 2014 at 9:07 am - Reply

Powerful post and exactly the day I needed to read these words. I work with the youth at my church and I have a young lady, age 15, who is struggling with past issues similar to yours and I visited with her at length last night after our Bible study, speaking Truth to her about who she is in God. I shared some of my personal struggles and how God has and is strengthening me daily when I rely on Him. I told her about my weight struggles and the Bible study I’m doing right now. I prayed with her, gave her some tools to be God focused, but when I called her grandmother this morning to check on her, she won’t get out of the bed and go to school. She just can’t grab a hold of who she is in Christ. I spoke with her on the phone and reminded her that we are Jesus girls and in Christ we can do ALL things. I know she wants to move past where she is, but there is a huge tug of war going on in her life/mind and I am going to hang on tight to the God side in this fight. I am going to print out your post and carry it to her today (she doesn’t have internet access). She needs to know that she can overcome her past and I believe God can use your story to relate to her. Thank you for sharing! Please pray for this young lady.

28. Cheryl January 30, 2014 at 9:11 am - Reply

Not sure I can add any thing more to what you have said in your blog other than AMEN! What a powerful message for us today. Thank you for being so open and honest in our journey.

29. Christine January 30, 2014 at 9:15 am - Reply

Thank you, Mandisa — for sharing your heart and these songs. You are a true inspiration and I so appreciate your honesty and vulnerability. Understanding (and then daily remembering) who we are in Christ is the most vital — and yet seemingly the hardest– part of our walk. I love that we can all get the sense that you are walking along beside us. ๐Ÿ™‚ The enemy has attacked me viciously in this area too and M2C helped tremendously. Now the devil has changed tactics and is on me about something else and I am doing my best to fight him back with God’s truth about me there. But GIRL, it is so hard sometimes… I know you know. ๐Ÿ™‚
    Thanks for the reminder that His promises are true in all areas of our lives and for being proof of it.

30. Melissa Taylor January 30, 2014 at 9:19 am - Reply

Thank you so much for sharing your blog on our Made to Crave Week 2 Blog Hop. You are just as good at writing as you are at singing!

I could so identify with you when you wrote: “Isnโ€™t it interesting that many of us will declare things about ourselves that we would never say to anyone else?” I find it natural for me to encourage others and see themselves as God sees them, yet I find myself talking just the opposite to me in my mind. I know that has to make God sad.

“You’re an Overcomer!” That’s what I keep singing to myself and believing as well. In John 16:33, Jesus says, “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” Yes, trouble is all around, but YES the resurrected Son of God lives in me. He who dwells within me has overcome the world. I am an overcomer, not by my own doing, but by His. Just typing that gets me all excited! I’m an overcomer! Thank you Jesus!

A song I love right now is by Elevation Worship. It’s titled, Raised to Life. “Raised to life, with Christ. the Savior, in His name a new creation…Sin was strong, but Jesus is stronger…” Here’s the link to hear it and see the video on You Tube: http://youtu.be/Rz2_o9dH_JM

I’m praying for you Manidsa! You are an overcomer!!! And I’m thankful to be on this journey with you in the Made to Crave study! Love you!!!!

31. Sheryl January 30, 2014 at 9:23 am - Reply

Mandisa, thank you SO much for allowing God to work and speak through you. I am continually touched by what you share. I also have struggles with food/eating. I have for a long time – I am a stress eater and a boredom eater. Thank you for being so real and vulnerable. It is so refreshing to see/hear someone who has an opportunity to speak to and affect so many be real – not the wrong faรงade that the world puts out there today. There is so much focus out there saying we need to be physically – skinny, beautiful, have a lot of money and worldly things —– that is NOT the answer. We all have our struggles – let’s continue to love and encourage each other so that we can ALL become OVERCOMER’s!!

Thank you for sharing about the bible study – I am going to be using some of that information and pray that God will speak to me through it and that He will enable me to take baby steps toward overcoming some of the challenges/struggles I am dealing with.

Love and prayer for you Mandisa

Sheryl

32. Deb January 30, 2014 at 9:27 am - Reply

I am participating in the M2C onlne study and love that your song “Overcomer” is our theme song! In fact, as I came downstairs to start using my elliptical this morning that is the song that was playing on my favorite Christian radio station! It energized and picked me right up. I also love the combination of song and scripture and am often encouraged by many of the songs on your list. Thank you for your blog post, your songs, and all you do!

33. Theresa January 30, 2014 at 9:28 am - Reply

I have been going through a struggle. I felt like I lost all of who God made me to be. I have been feeling like I have lost Him. Thank you for this blog, your personal testimony, for the music, and for the “Made to Crave” information. This is exactly what I have been searching for. Blessings my dear sweet victorious sister!

34. Kelly Wiggins (fellow M2C OBSer) January 30, 2014 at 9:31 am - Reply

Thank you so much for being so transparent with us! I love that you state 2 Corinthians 10:5 “Take captive every thought and make it obedient in Christ Jesus.” That is one of my “go to” verses! Especially when the devil has a hold of my thoughts in the night! I’m a worrier! But when I quote that verse over and over, It truly releases me from those thoughts & worries!
    Thank you for your faithfulness!

God Bless you & your work in Christ’s name!
    Kelly

35. Shantay January 30, 2014 at 9:38 am - Reply

I’m not who I was by Brandon Heath. I had to share that one on FB. I need to let go of the past hurt. (1 Peter 5: 7) By forgiving others, this will allow me to be set free.

36. Jennifer January 30, 2014 at 9:56 am - Reply

Thank you so much for sharing this. It is now in my purse too!

37. Kristy yeomans January 30, 2014 at 10:00 am - Reply

My identity has been a major struggle for me in my christian walk. Though I have not encountered thos specific attacks, I have a similar history of sorts. I am just now truly getting a firm foundation that God loves me & made me in His image & that in & of itself is a thing of beauty.

38. Tracie January 30, 2014 at 10:02 am - Reply

Mandisa, thank you so much for your openness. It helps SO much to know that we are not alone in this. Your gift of encouragement is a blessing to everyone you touch through words and song. May God bless you richly today!

39. Debbie January 30, 2014 at 10:11 am - Reply

Mandisa, you are a success story and the enemy hates that! You ARE an overcomer and that’s so opposite of where satan wants you to be.

You are so good at giving and encouraging, but sometimes you have to stop and be refilled.

Thank you for not giving up. You’re an inspiration, even when you feel like a failure.

God bless you as he uses you for his kingdom!

40. Linda Leighton (OBS Leadership Team) January 30, 2014 at 10:13 am - Reply

Hi Mandisa! I love so much that you are so transparent with us! I have fallen into the same trap as you, over and over again (and, yes, this is also my 3rd time doing the MTC study). I truly believe that we can be set free and delivered from this pit that the devil goads us to time and time again–I’m so thankful that we have the truths that Lysa wrote about in chapter 5, and also those that can speak to us through song. I have playlist after playlist of songs that I have created when I need motivation, encouragement etc., and, like you, most of them include several of your songs! Lifeline, Stronger, Overcomer, Shackles, Voice of a Savior….they all speak to me deep down into my soul. I will keep you in my prayers that you would, once and for all, become victorious over this area of struggle in your life! God wants to do a new thing in you (and me)! You are an overcomer!

41. January January 30, 2014 at 10:24 am - Reply

Thanks for your honest and heartfelt post, and for sharing some of the struggles and identities that are much like my own. My journey with unhealthy food habits began from a similar situation when I was about the same age, and it has not been since I have noticed how much my negative body image influences that of my daughter’s that I have found the determination to accept myself as I truly am….a loved, redeemed, beautiful child of God, who WILL defeat the devil! Thanks so much for using His gift to bless us with such powerful messages through music. Your songs are truly an inspiration to me!

In Christ, January

42. Amy S January 30, 2014 at 10:24 am - Reply

WOW… Mandisa… what a powerful blog post! THANK YOU for sharing with us p31 ladies! <3 and thank you for such an amazing list of awesome songs that are out there to empower us and bring us light in the dark times! <3 YOU ROCK! <3

43. Sarah January 30, 2014 at 10:44 am - Reply

Mandisa, what a powerful post! It is so very easy to fall into the pit of lies and deceit that the enemy leads us to. I love that you are one of my OBS sisters! I really enjoyed the songs that you listed in this post. Some are my favorites! Thanks for the inspiration, girlfriend!

44. M January 30, 2014 at 10:44 am - Reply

Thank you so much for this post! I didn’t know any of these things about you, but I am so glad you had the courage to share!
    This past year has been very difficult for me. I found out something that completely knocked me to the ground and stomped on me. It had happened during the last few days while I was pregnant and while I was in the hospital delivering and recovering, on into a month later when it was discovered. Now, each day I have to purpose and pray for forgiveness. Every second of the day the devil tortures me with it. It is so hard some days just to get out of bed. And now, with my son’s first birthday coming up,I have to fight off feelings of dread instead of happiness because it is also the anniversary of this terrible ordeal.
    But when I hear your song “Overcomer” and I hear the power, confidence, and heart that you have in it, I know that I can be that, by God’s grace. I do not have to let this be my identity. I am resolved to overcome this daily with God’s help and grace.
    Thank you and God bless you. You are amazing!!

45. Mandee McDonald January 30, 2014 at 10:48 am - Reply

I can relate to most of what you said, but one line really stuck with me.
    โ€œ____________ did it. Why canโ€™t you? Because youโ€™re hopeless!โ€
    Comparison gets me every time! I give up when my results are not like everyone else’s or at the same time. But, I know that God’s plan for them is not His plan for me. And as long as my focus is Him, not others, I will reach His plan.
    I’m seriously making a play list with those songs. But, I would add another one. Bethany Dillon had a song called Beautiful several years ago. It still means so much to me – what beautiful really means!

46. Heather Kight January 30, 2014 at 11:00 am - Reply

Thank you SO MUCH for your enlightening words of faith and encouragement! In this battle for obedience to God and honoring Him with every part of my life (and at this time, that is the seemingly endless battle with unhealthy eating habits), it’s been nearly impossible to always avoid those temptations from Satan. (Like the red light at Krispy Kreme – why is it the light was rarely on when I was being disobedient, and now it’s on every time I pass by?!!) Thank you for sharing 2 Corinthians 10:5!! I am going to write it down, memorize it, and claim victory in Jesus through it! Thank you, also, for sharing the love of Christ in such a genuine way with the world. Your sisters on this Proverbs 31 OBS truly admire you for being so open and honest with us. Keep letting our Father use you, and may He bless you more each and every day. Much love to you! P.S. I can’t get enough of “Overcomer” … brings joy to my heart every time I hear it! ๐Ÿ™‚

47. Theresa January 30, 2014 at 11:01 am - Reply

Thank you so much for your openness. I too have a similar childhood. I identify with music all my life. Can’t get enough of God’s word through it. When my husband passed away over 6yrs ago the only music I could listen to was your Freedom CD. A Broken Hallelujah was played continuously that first year. Now wanting to battle this life long weight problem, I am so grateful for Overcomer being the theme for M2C. Thank you so much for your music, your testimony, and your faithfulness to stay true to God’s Word.

48. Alissa January 30, 2014 at 11:22 am - Reply

Just want to say a simple THANK YOU for your transparency & encouragement! I have been listening to your songs on You Tube all morning long! : )

49. Jeanie Kelley January 30, 2014 at 11:26 am - Reply

Thanks for sharing today. Loved the blog and will continue to read more. We are all over comers and love the song. Blessings for a wonderful hopeful day.

50. Rosemary(OBS small group leader) January 30, 2014 at 11:36 am - Reply

I just loved your message. You are truly an amazing women, and an inspiration to women everywhere, and here you actually have the ability to reach women from all over the world. So glad to have you along on this journey. Because you are right, no matter what our battles we are OVERCOMERS…God bless you .

51. Christy Proudfit January 30, 2014 at 12:06 pm - Reply

Thank you for writing this blog. I read on Chondra Pierce’s fb page about why you didn’t attend the grammys. Please continue to do the convictions that Christ has placed in your life. I will continue to pray for you and am proud of your decision.
    I love reading the blogs that are open about their lives. Satan loves to keep us in secrets. Reading about your past I see Satan has tried to keep you living that life too. As a former victim of domestic violence, I know how satan likes us to hide the truth. We then listen to the lies satan tells us. Only with scripture, prayer and fellowship can we overcome those lies.
    Thank you again for sharing and your music as my daughter would say “has beats”. Love it.

52. Wendy Downey January 30, 2014 at 12:15 pm - Reply

How wonderful that you are participating with the other 43,000+ of us in the M2C OBS! Your courage to be “real” and share your story – through music and your blog – help each and every one of us to claim God’s promises out loud. To sing it boldly! To RENEW our minds by RECOGNIZING, REPLACING, and REPEATING! (love that!)

Music is the way that God’s Truths seep into my soul, and I want to say thank you for being such an inspiration! May He continue to bless you in all you do!

53. Deenna January 30, 2014 at 12:51 pm - Reply

Mandisa-May the mighty truth of the Lord take control of your mind! My heart is just so grateful for your transparency. An overcomer is truly your strength and story!! Keep sharing my Sister In Christ!

Here is to Recognize, Replace and REPEAT!!!!!
    I love music and thank you for this powerful song selection…truly a gift!!!!

In Christ Redeeming GRACE,
    Deenna

54. Christi Stapleton January 30, 2014 at 12:57 pm - Reply

Mandisa, thank you so much for sharing, and showing us that fame does not change who we are in Christ, and the struggles that we have! I will refer back to this blog post many times, I am sure! God is definitely using you, sister, to show others His way and truth!! Again, thank you for being His servant!

55. Sue January 30, 2014 at 1:05 pm - Reply

The truth about me. I struggle with this daily Thank you

56. Wendy Hurley January 30, 2014 at 1:16 pm - Reply

Thank you for your honesty. We cannot get through this fight without being honest, especially with ourselves. But we need to remember not to believe the lies of the enemy that try to convince us of who we are not.

57. Wendy January 30, 2014 at 1:32 pm - Reply

Mandisa, I really needed your blog today. Thanks for sharing!

58. Sadie January 30, 2014 at 1:41 pm - Reply

Thank you so much for sharing this. I struggle with my identity, and have had a lot of similar issues in my life that you have had. I love the recognize, replace, repeat. I will be using that! So glad you are a part of this Bible study and that you shared in this weeks Blog Hop!

Also loved that you shared so many songs at the end of your post!

59. Kimberly Flores January 30, 2014 at 1:55 pm - Reply

Deeply touched. Thank you for sharing yourself with us! God bless you and keep you in His loving embrace. I see Him in you!

60. anne reeves January 30, 2014 at 2:04 pm - Reply

Thankyou once again Mandisa…you are teaching me much!!!!!
    This morning when I awoke…”take every thought captive” came into my mind…now reading your blog reaffirms this truth!!
    I truly praise God for you….it is a daily battle in our minds…the evil one wants to destroy us any way he can…will uphold you in prayer :))
    Two good books..Joyce Meyer Battlefield of your mind and Dr Caroline Leaf “Switch on your brain” includes 21day brain detox plan, the last book a slow reading book…but amazing…
    Bless you Mandisa ( the oldie learning from the young woman)

61. Valerie January 30, 2014 at 2:08 pm - Reply

You are, Mandisa, one of the most inspiring women I have ever come across (my #1 is Priscilla Shirer, who I have admired for so many years). My spiritual search began when I hit the big 4-0, and although I have found my church, I still struggle with following and obeying God’s word. I fail every single day with my thoughts and my words. I keep wondering if this is my “karma” – being divorced after 22 yrs of marriage, a single mom, and struggling with finances, etc. But my struggles are NOTHING compared to so many. I am blessed beyond believe, and fight the battle daily of telling myself that I am worth – and telling Satan to see how great my God is…I admire you, love you, and pray for you. You are amazing! Thank YOU for being my inspiration today.

62. Martha January 30, 2014 at 3:33 pm - Reply

Thank you Mandisa for your blog…..great words of encouragement! I love your playlist too! When I see that “hot doughnut” sign now, I think what a hot mess it will make in my peace if I succumb so I willingly ignore it! I’m in the MTC study too & love it! Also love “Overcomer” for the theme song! Thanks so much for sharing your talent with the world.

63. Merja January 30, 2014 at 3:50 pm - Reply

Thank you for your amazing music and this blog which I just found.
    I was driving to work today with very uneasy feelings and then turned my car radio to christian channel and heard your song “Overcomer”! I haven’t heard it before and I cried from being so touched and somehow lighter and happier. When I came from work I had to google your video and then I cried some more. And then I found this blog. You are inspiring and beautiful and this post you’ve made today has really spoken to me. Thank you so much!

• CHINEZE NDUKWE January 31, 2014 at 4:06 pm - Reply

Aww Merja. I love Mandisa. She is a blessing!

64. Bethany Boring January 30, 2014 at 4:50 pm - Reply

Mandisa –
    WHEW….I just had a worship concert by literally clicking on each music video you posted! I have three young boys and we just had an amazing time! THANK YOU!!!

Let me just say how I applaud you for posting songs from other artists. That is SO refreshing! “Overcomer” is SO powerful and helped me get though a difficult 2013. But today was the first time I ever heard the song “Wanted”…my jaw just hit the floor. One of the lies I CONSTANTLY fight is “Bethany, you are not wanted.” I know this is a lie and I am always, unconditionally accepted, embraced and wanted by my Abba Daddy (that kind of started my blog!). ANYWAY…I just thought I’d let you know how impactful the songs as well as the words you shared have been to me today!

Great to do this OBS with you!!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

65. Kathy January 30, 2014 at 5:38 pm - Reply

Thank you, Mandisa. I’ll be coming back to this post when I need to get fired up again about my ability to fight this fight. When we are weak, then we are strong.

66. Mandy January 30, 2014 at 5:41 pm - Reply

Thanks you for speaking to me my sister in Christ !!

67. Mandi January 30, 2014 at 8:10 pm - Reply

You are an amazing, beautiful woman! When I read your post it made me think of the terrible things that I often think about myself when satan is whispering in my ear. I have only recently started listening to Christian music and I have to say that your songs are inspirational. I like to listen to Overcomer on the way to work. It gets me pumped for a day of teaching 5 year olds! Thank you for being amazing and not letting negative people get you down.

68. kymmie January 30, 2014 at 8:47 pm - Reply

Mandisa, thank you for your blog! You are so open and honest and such an inspiration to me. Your music and your blog…wow! Thanks again. ๐Ÿ™‚

69. Candy January 30, 2014 at 8:56 pm - Reply

You should listen to Joyce Meyer, ‘Enjoy Everyday Living” or go to her website http://www.joycemeyer.org and read or listen to her teachings. She is very down to earth and tells it like it is. She has helped me so much to know who I am in Christ. This week has been about the holy spirit and the power of God within us.

Joyce was abused by her father for a long time. She never knew peace or love for a long time. There is a book she wrote ‘Beauty from Ashes’ that would be very good for you. She always says she might not have had a great beginning, but she is going to have great ending. She also says: ” I know I am not where I should be, but thank God I’m not where I used to be” I’m on my way and I’m OK.

Your sister in Christ,

Candy

70. Klea January 30, 2014 at 9:02 pm - Reply

You have poured your heart out and shared your soul with us all. What a story! You have already overcome so much! And you will continue to overcome. As we all will. We know the end of the story and who wins! Let us not forget this. Satan will be defeated. I only wish you happiness and God’s love.

Blessings to you!

71. Lisa H January 30, 2014 at 9:04 pm - Reply

With tears running down my face, I must share with you how God has worked in my life through your gifts of song and encouragement. Just know there are people lifting you up in prayer and as I also sing daily along to your newest, grammy winning album, “Don’t quit, don’t give in, you’re an overcomer…Don’t quit, don’t give in, you’re an overcomer…Don’t quit, don’t give in, you’re an overcomer…You’re An Overcomer!” I praise God for your music as it brings uplifting joy to my life on a regular basis. Keep shining bright, Mandisa…praying for peace and strength along our M2C journey…be empowered…be determined…WE WERE MADE FOR MORE!

72. Robin January 30, 2014 at 9:44 pm - Reply

I am also in the M2C Proverbs 31 Bible study and I want to thank you for sharing this! Also, for all of the songs, most of which are also favorites of mine! Music truly speaks to my heart in a powerful way! I appreciate how honest and open you are in your post, because I know I can relate to all of it, especially how I talk to the woman in my mirror. It is not pretty and I would never in a lifetime say those things to another human being. So, I don’t know why I think it’s okay to say them about me. You have given me food for thought (thankfully not to eat right now, lol). Seriously, though, I am really going to work on seeing myself as God sees me. After all, each one of us were made in His image! Thanks again!

73. Rhiannon January 30, 2014 at 9:47 pm - Reply

Mandisa;

Thank you! Thank you for your candidness. Thank you for the music line-up. I tend to think in music, most of my Bible studies have musical notes and song names as verses and statements bring tunes to my mind.

The one that has been playing in my mind as I’ve worked through chapter 5 is “Hello,my names is” by Matthew West.

I’m not defined by a label, I’m defined by God and who and what he created me to be. I should not only revel in that but allow it to spur me forward in His plan for my life.

Thank you!

74. Kelaiah January 30, 2014 at 10:01 pm - Reply

God has really worked on a lot of these songs with me, though right now for the past year he has been teaching me that I am an overcomer. Using John 1:4 and also Phillippians 4:13!
    I would add More beautiful You by jonny diaz, Lovable by Kerrie Roberts, Mirror Mirror by Barrlowgirl and Courageous by casting crowns!
    Thanks for this concept of finding scripture to match songs and use them hand in hand together! Love it and so going to try it! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thanks Girl!

75. Katrina Wylie (OBS small group leader) January 31, 2014 at 12:51 am - Reply

The identity statement from your play list that I feel God wants me to focus on is “We are the light of the world,” from Kari Jobe’s song “We are.” So often I forget this fact and spend my time diminishing His light & glory with my self-criticizing thoughts. This brings to mind Luke 8:16 – “No one lights a lamp and hides it in a jar or puts it under a bed. Instead he puts it on a stand, so that those who come in can see the light.” This convicts me that I need to spend more time building up his light of truth in my heart so that I can stand & shine even in my darkest moments & thoughts.

I don’t have a song to add, as your play list hit every single one I would’ve thought to choose ๐Ÿ™‚

76. Noreen January 31, 2014 at 4:05 am - Reply

You are strong and an overcomer. Stay blessed my sister!

77. Shauna January 31, 2014 at 9:23 am - Reply

I printed out that “Pre-Scripture Prayer list” you linked to. I noticed many of the items are from Ephesians 1 and 2. God used learning his scripture during my exercise time to really renew my mind. A book I read talked about memorizing not only verses, but whole chapters so that you get the context. I would use time on the elliptical and walking on a country road to learn them. I can honestly say that when I hear these quoted now, they have so much meaning because of my meditation. My first chapter was Ps. 1, then Rom. 8 (delivered me from depression/death), then Eph. 4 because of all the relationship help it held. I went back to the beginning of Ephesians eventually, and it was such a rich and poetic chapter.

You can either write them out and keep them in a spiral notecard book, or copy the page from your Bible and put it in a protective sleeve so you can have it when you are working at the sink or working out, wherever you can take time to look up and repeat. I also used recordings of myself reading it, or you could get a mp3 or iTunes spoken word to read along with. Whatever your best learning method, harness it!

God bless you in your walk to become more like Christ, Mandisa. Thanks for the encouragement and inspiration!

78. CHINEZE NDUKWE January 31, 2014 at 10:27 am - Reply

Wow Ms. Mandisa this is a powerful blog that brought tears to my eyes. You are an amazing and very talanted woman of God. I love you and keep on spreading the Word of God through song and words. God bless!

79. Tawana January 31, 2014 at 1:45 pm - Reply

Mandisa
    You are such an inspiration! God bless you sister! God bless you!

80. Shelly Faust January 31, 2014 at 1:56 pm - Reply

Mandisa girl!!

Thank you for being so real! Your words, written and sung, offer hope and encouragement to all who read and hear them. What an honor to walk along side of you and so many others in this MTC journey. God is on the move and we are moving with Him.

I love when you said we can’t just overlook the lies and tactics of the enemy. That is so true. We have to dismantle his weapons, make them ineffective toward us, and render him powerless. By recognizing and replacing the lies with truth from God’s Word we can that! We have to do that.

One of the songs I’ve been playing over and over this week is Clear the Stage by Jimmy Needham http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpYClnBtH-4 . It is speaking to my soul because I know that every thing in my life that has been exalted above Him (even the lies I have believed above myself) has to be cleared, brought down, removed. One of the verses says “I can sing all I want to and still get it wrong.” I don’t want to get it wrong. I want Him. And He wants ALL of me.

Thank you again my OBS sister! You bless me.

Love,
    Shelly

81. Amy February 1, 2014 at 5:04 pm - Reply

This was a good list. I especially relate to “The Truth about Me.” It can be hard for me to accept that God doesn’t hold my mistakes against me.

Some other songs that really speak to me are “You Love Me Anyway” and “The Words I Would Say” by Sidewalk Prophets, “Someone Worth Dying For” by Mikeschair, “Stay This Way” by Jason Castro and “Invisible” by Disciple.

82. Made to Crave ~ Week 3 February 2, 2014 at 12:01 am - Reply

[…] Grammy Award winning singer of Overcomer is participating in this study with us, and even participated in our Week 2 Blog Hop! Here she is, one of our beautiful fellow MTC travelers singing our […]

83. Lisa February 2, 2014 at 9:32 am - Reply

I am so speechless. Broken in so many ways I am sharing your pain. This blog post say do many things I have been feeling and I am do not a blogger or responder. I am doing this study for the 3rd time and have so felt like a failure and a sore sight in not only my eyes but yes… Feel like I failed God by gaining it back again. Just trying to deal with emotions and feelings and words that others have said and feeling like others are alway staring at me but reading your post and listening to songs give me hope and a new look. Thank you for posting and thank you for being real and for your music that has been my music mix when I work out! You truly are inspiring Thank you thank you!!!

• CHINEZE NDUKWE February 3, 2014 at 11:01 pm - Reply

Hello Lisa,

I will be praying for you to conquer this weight battle. With help of God and his Word you can do it! God bless

84. Artist News February 4, 2014 « February 4, 2014 at 7:49 am - Reply

[…] Mandisa is out with a new blog. The focus of the latest post is on scriptures about our identity in Christ, some of her favorite Christian songs & free music! Read the entire blog by clicking on the link at christianartistnews.info http://mandisaofficial.com/home/identity-statements-recognize-replace-repeat/ […]

85. Laurie February 4, 2014 at 2:18 pm - Reply

Have you tried OA Overeaters Anonymous. Saving my life ๐Ÿ™‚ Never felt such freedom!

86. J February 4, 2014 at 5:33 pm - Reply

I love this, and I love all those songs.
    Right now, I’m the girl who has an eating disorder. One day, I’ll be the girl who has overcome.
    Thanks.

87. […] has to say. There seems to be a running theme in several of my recent blogs. God is teaching me to Recognize the lie, Replace it with truth, and Repeat the process over and over; the Holy Spirit is showing me how to Break Earthly Boundaries with […]