Earthly Boundaries/God’s Boundaries

Home/Blog/Earthly Boundaries/God’s Boundaries

“The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance.”
Psalm 16:6 (NIV)

On Wednesday, February 5, 2014, I gave a TEDx Talk at Oaks Christian School in CA. I shared how earthly boundaries make us overwhelmed, but God’s boundaries make us overcomers! You can watch my talk below:

An earthly boundary is something that limits, confines and restricts. To break free from those, we must replace them with the freeing, protecting, and hope-filled boundaries God says of us, His children, in His word.

Below are some examples of replacing earthly boundaries with God’s boundaries:

I am worthless

• I am so valuable to God that He calls me His rich inheritance (Psalm 28:9)

I am afraid

• God has not given me the spirit of fear (2 Timothy 1:7)
  • God can deliver me from all my fears (Psalm 34:4)
  • God’s perfect love drives out fear (1 John 4:18)
  • The Lord is my light and salvation. Whom shall I fear or be afraid? (Psalm 27:1, 3)

I am ugly

• I am beautiful to the King of kings (Psalm 45:11)
  • I have an unfading beauty that is of great worth in God’s sight (1 Peter 3:4)

I am too short, tall, young, old, etc.

I am a mistake

• I was known by God before I was even formed in the womb (Jeremiah 1:5)
  • God ordained all of my days before I was even born (Psalm 139:16)

I am too weak

• God’s grace is enough for me, His power is made perfect in my weakness, and when I am weak, then I am strong (2 Corinthians 12:9-10)
  • God makes me strong, firm and steadfast (1 Peter 5:10)

I am alone

I am unwanted

• God has chosen me and calls me royal, holy, and precious in His sight (1 Peter 2:9)
  • God chose me before the creation of this world (Ephesians 1:4)

I am unloved

I am hopeless

I am not talented

I am not special

I am not good enough

I am not smart enough

No one sees me

No one accepts me

No one knows who I really am

I’ve done too many bad things

I have no friends

My mother and/or father left me

I don’t have enough money

I have no purpose

I’m overwhelmed

2014-02-05T10:13:03+00:00 Feb 5th|Blog|22 Comments

1. CHINEZE NDUKWE February 5, 2014 at 10:25 am - Reply

Ms. Mandisa you are none of these words. You are an Overcomer believe it. Christ has redeemed you from the curse of the law. Death and life are in the power of the tongue. Praying for you that you will be filled with the Holy Spirit and that God will use you to say just the right words to make a difference and be a blessing. I pray that one soul will be saved today through your being used of the Lord. God bless.

2. Irene Garcia February 5, 2014 at 10:26 am - Reply

Love it 🙂

3. mark buso February 6, 2014 at 6:34 am - Reply

It has been put on my heart to contact you; after hearing your interview on k- love a couple of weeks ago I was heart broken to hear you speak of the comments you said you had received; the not so nice ones I am referring to. If I could ask GOD to please do one thing for this world it would be to make us all love one another unconditionally. In June of 2008 I weighed 440 pounds 44 years of my life I fought obesity it was a constant struggle to hear people or watch people stare thru me like I was a freak or something but by the grace of God and discipline on my part I lost half of my body weight in 3 years and I am still working daily to make my body a temple for Christ. If there is anything I can do for you or any of your listeners to help overcome the addiction to food that we all seem to have I will be more then happy to help. It has been a work in progress and the fight i will never give up.and by the way the overcomer song is my favorite keep your head up and keep loving the lord God bless you

• Kris Kelly February 6, 2014 at 9:58 pm - Reply

Mark, I have been there and am still there. Been fat all my life. Last year was my heaviest at 346. Have lost 100 pounds but I’m losing the desire to continue. I’ve had the same comments, stares, dirty looks and not existing in their eyes. But what do I do when my husband is my worst critic? I just want to eat and go back to enjoying food. I need to find some friends, those that understand and those who accept me for who I am. It hasn’t been easy!

4. Jennifer Gearheart February 6, 2014 at 8:03 am - Reply

This is so encouraging and uplifting!! I love how you crossed out the negative statements!! God has a wonderful plan and purpose for us all. I love your song Overcomer!! I do my workout to it and it fills me up with so much joy!! Thank you for sharing this!

5. Terre Ritchie February 6, 2014 at 8:04 am - Reply

With all of the worlds influences pounding at our door every day it is very refreshing to see how you used God’s strength to present this message. I would think that many in the audience were or are in the same position as you. The chains of this worlds words can weigh us down, hold us back and bind us, but God’s Words are freedom! Thanks for being the Overcomer representative for all of us.
    Oh, by-the-way, I was at one of your concerts in Michigan in 2013 and bought three Overcomer shirts. I took them to Romania where my daughter is a missionary with her family. My daughter and her two daughters sing the Overcomer song almost every morning! Now, they have the shirts to wear while they sing! It made for a great photo too. God bless you Mandisa!

6. Sandra ( Sandi) Pack February 6, 2014 at 8:24 am - Reply

We are so blessed to have such a precious and loving sister in Christ in you. You have “overcome” so much and shared from your heart and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for being willing to share yourself and be REAL to all of your followers. When you get to heaven, I am sure you will you will hear those words from God, “Well done my faithful child and servant”. Love you my sweet and precious sister in Christ. Praying for you each day. 🙂 Oh, by the way Congrats on the 2 Grammies! 🙂 I know that our Lord is smiling when your name is spoken.

7. Jenn Vazquez February 6, 2014 at 8:38 am - Reply

Great stuff. Can’t wait to watch your talk. You are amazing and so inspiring. Keep it up girl – stay in the fight! 🙂

8. Kari February 6, 2014 at 8:53 am - Reply

Wow! SO powerful and empowering. I am bookmarking this so that when I struggle I can come right back to this. Thank you!

9. Vivian February 6, 2014 at 8:55 am - Reply

Printing this out to keep in my Bible. It is another reminder for me when the lies of the adversary come haunting me. I’m learning to quickly go back to the truth of God’s Word instead of dwelling in my pit. Thank you and God bless

• mary hisey February 6, 2014 at 10:21 am - Reply

Awesome suggestion about printing this out! i did just that to post on my fridge where i can see it daily!

10. Tanya February 6, 2014 at 8:57 am - Reply

Thank you for this awesome resource of TRUTH! I was able to share these with our young people in hope to empower them with hope and not walk in defeat…they can be overcomers!!!! Thank you Mandisa, blessings to you and your ministry!

11. mary hisey February 6, 2014 at 9:07 am - Reply

Thanks, this is perfect and much needed!

12. Jimmy Hayes February 6, 2014 at 10:42 am - Reply

Very well put together! It blessed me!

13. Sherrie February 6, 2014 at 10:47 am - Reply

Love you Mandisa!!!! Printed this blog and put it on my bulletin board so I can read it every day. I struggle with so many of these and it is a blessing to be able to cancel out those negative thoughts with a positive message from God’s word!! Thank you so much…..and keep doing what you do!!!

14. Linda February 6, 2014 at 11:43 am - Reply

Thank you. This is EXACTLY what I needed to read Mandisa! I appreciate your publicizing the wisdom you have been given to pass it along to me, and the millions like me, who struggle with our worth…with our imperfection. Blessings!!

15. Kathryn Nixon February 6, 2014 at 11:55 am - Reply

Mandisa, God has granted you a gift of ministry few have. Recently my husband has been going through this exact feeling – especially at work. He has been pushed around and yet still does his job to the best of his ability. It’s difficult to see the good when so many people are putting you down – and no one is standing with you at that moment (at least to his view). Daily I try to remind him that he’s not alone and that he’s God’s beloved child.
    He struggles with past addiction to Tobacco, which he is trying to overcome – but with the enemy attacking him in so many ways – it has become very difficult. I keep him in continual prayer, but I know it’s ultimately up to him. With his job coworkers always jabbing cruel complaints against him – he feels underappreciated and very much unwanted at his job. However, God has his hand of favor upon him and the blessings he’s been getting have been incredible! So I believe these people are seeing his success, and because they want it – and they don’t know how to get it, they are attacking him.

I believe this to be the work of the enemy – because he knows my husband’s weaknesses, being picked on is a major one. Please pray that my husband will overcome the enemies attempts to bring him down, and that God will continue to bless him in the face of this persecution and open his eyes to the blessing of being under such persecution.

God bless ya Mandisa, keep your eyes on God – keep using that amazing voice and talent for Him and keep watching His favor fall on you! God bless and I wish you a happy February 2014!

16. Cindy Mitchell February 6, 2014 at 12:10 pm - Reply

Wow…I needed to see this as well. I’m gonna print it off and read and reread. Thank you for this! 🙂

17. Ayana Morgan February 6, 2014 at 2:32 pm - Reply

Hi Mandisa, You really know how to study your Bible, thank you! I am an ordained minister and Bible teacher, and I could not have done a better job! Good topic, and I am sure your speech was great because the Lord is with you. Blessings daughter! Rev. Morgan

18. Emily Foat February 6, 2014 at 5:22 pm - Reply

Thank you Mandisa for the scriptures and the earthly bounderies vs. Gods bounderies… I copied all the scriptures down including the words… thank you so much for all you do….

19. Mikah February 7, 2014 at 3:23 pm - Reply

I really needed this today!

20. Lori March 22, 2014 at 4:01 am - Reply

Thank you for the encouragement and inspiration you give! Your music helps me so much! I saw you in concert last night in Hampton, VA, and you were amazing! I can really see God’s joy in you!