Single Appreciation Week-Day 5

//Single Appreciation Week-Day 5

To conclude our series of blogs celebrating our singleness, I wanted to highlight a couple of my friends who are single, content and living abundantly!

If you have ever seen Luci Swindoll speak, you know the wisdom and joy she possesses as a vibrant never-been-married woman in her 80’s. Luci has never really desired to marry, so like Paul in 1 Corinthians 7:32-35, she has an undivided devotion to the Lord.

“I would like you to be free from concern. An unmarried man is concerned about the Lord’s affairs—how he can please the Lord. But a married man is concerned about the affairs of this world—how he can please his wife— and his interests are divided. An unmarried woman or virgin is concerned about the Lord’s affairs: Her aim is to be devoted to the Lord in both body and spirit. But a married woman is concerned about the affairs of this world—how she can please her husband. I am saying this for your own good, not to restrict you, but that you may live in a right way in undivided devotion to the Lord. ” (NIV)

Paul considered singleness as a gift (1 Corinthians 7:7); So does Luci. Here’s what she said:

“When I was about 12 years old I knew I wanted to remain single. I remember writing down my goals–never marry, see the world, sing professionally, study other languages, get a college education. With all that I figured I wouldn’t have time for marriage and a family anyway. Primarily though, I believe the secret to being content as a single is to define who you are, w/o somebody else in the definition. Actually, I believe it’s the secret to bring a contented person in general. When we learn to be happy in our own skin, w/ the personality God has given us…apart from family, friends, mentors, teachers and employers…I believe we can be content. In other words, as long as I spend my time being the best me that God made me to be, and nobody else…I’ll be content–single OR married.”

Funny…sounds similar to what many of my married friends in yesterday’s blog shared. Ok, Lord! Contentment and fulfillment comes from You! I hear You! 😉

Luci has lived an extraordinary life! Her house is like a museum of sorts; artifacts from countries she has visited, more books than I could even count, beautiful photos & art, plus journals of amazing experiences she has had. I gotta say, she makes living single look good!

I do, however, feel a yearning to marry one day. And while I believe it is a desire placed in my heart by the Lord, I recognize that I can be wrong. That is why I am learning to lay that desire at the feet of Jesus. If He has called me to a life of singleness, I am willing to follow wherever He leads.

So is my friend, Lisa Harper. When I asked Lisa to share her thoughts on being content with her singleness, she said this:

“I never thought I’d get my AARP card before I got a blingy diamond ring to wear on my left hand ~ and heck, it could even be a fake cubic zirconia diamond-wannabe! I just thought by fifty some man would be passionate about winning my hand in marriage. But alas, while I’ve been on more blind dates than Stevie Wonder, there’s been no one special enough to commit to for richer for poorer, in sickness and in death. But it’s not the dramatic crash and burn I felt as a single 40 year old when I was tempted to stick my hand in a blender on Valentine’s Day. Nowadays, contentment is edged a little deeper in my soul. I’m learning to live in light of God’s promise to be a husband to the husbandless. I’m learning to trust in both His sufficiency & affection. So you don’t have to worry about hiding your blenders or sharp knives from me this Valentine’s Day…in fact I’m actually looking forward to buying lots of pink stuffed animals & V-Day happies for my soon-to-be-here adopted daughter! Mind you if God dropped a Jesus loving man in my lap who felt called to be a Haitian 4 year old’s baby daddy, I will celebrate with unprecedented delight & gratitude! When you crave time alone with your Messiah more than you daydream being Mrs. Somebody from Match.com or Eharmony, I think you’re cruising in the right direction. Follow hard after Jesus…in due time you might find yourself colliding into the love of your life who’s running hard toward Jesus too!”

Amen! Lisa desires a husband, but more than anything, she desires Jesus. That seems to be the most important word of advice from all of my friends; married or single.

So on this “Single Appreciation Day” I want to encourage all of my fellow singles out there to join me in doing these things:

1. Take every thought captive, make it obedient to Christ, and replace pity party thoughts with God’s truth! (see 2 Corinthians 10:5, Philippians 4:8)

-When you recognize “I’m so lonely” and “why not me” thoughts, replace those with God’s truth on the matter. You can find some of those in Isaiah 54:5, Jeremiah 29:11, and Proverbs 19:21 to start with.

2. Focus on celebrating God’s love for you. Here’s a little “Love Songs to Jesus” Spotify Playlist I created to help me do that today.

3. Find ways to show love to others today.

-Do you know another single person you can surprise with a card or flowers?
-Maybe call some married friends and leave a voice mail praying for their marriages. -Live out Matthew 25:35-40; Pack some healthy “Valentines”, deliver them to the homeless, and remind them that God sees them and loves them very much.
-Grab some gift cards to a restaurant and hand them out at a local college campus with a note about Jesus satisfying our hunger and thirst (Nehemiah 9:15, Isaiah 49:10, Isaiah 55:1-2). Be creative!

Leave a comment below sharing how you will celebrate love today. I’ll choose a winner to receive Luci Swindoll’s “Doing Life Differently” and 4 copies of Lisa Harper’s new “Hebrews: The Nearness of King Jesus” Bible study so you can grab 3 friends and do this amazing Bible study together! We were made for community, so let’s lift one another up today and appreciate the gift of singleness we’ve been given!

2014-02-14T00:04:26+00:00 Feb 14th|Blog|88 Comments

1. elizabeth February 14, 2014 at 12:26 am - Reply

When I was single, 1 Corinthians 7:32-35 made me to think like I don’t wanna marry so that I could serve the Lord with an undivided devotion. But as the year passes by God made me to realize that my calling is not to remain single. It was actually hard for me to accept initially. But step by step God trained/taught me through His word itself. I started to wait on the Lord and He gave me a guy who is God fearing. Now I’m 25 and happy to say that when I look back God was faithful,He is and He will be. Just trust in Him.

2. Connie Cox February 14, 2014 at 12:28 am - Reply

God bless you Mandisa. I wish you all success in the ministry.

3. Rana Cooper February 14, 2014 at 12:36 am - Reply

I work at an Elementary school as a secretary and I come in contact with a lot of the students at car duty in the morning and lunch duty in the afternoon. Yesterday two boys let me know that Valentine’s Day is also their birthdays so I’m going to surprise them with a small treat to say Happy Birthday and then there is another little boy who was having a challenging day in class so much so that he had to spend the latter part of the day in the office. I told him I would have a treat for him if he has a great day on Valentine’s day…just a little incentive! Then I definitely will have to call my favorite couple at pray for their marriage.

4. kathy February 14, 2014 at 7:26 am - Reply

I get to spend my day selling balloons today mostly, but im also going to hang oyt with some really sweet friends and just enjoy each others company and friendship. I plan on blessing them both with something just because they deservr to be blessed

5. Jessica Holt February 14, 2014 at 7:49 am - Reply

Hey Mandisa! Want to know how I’m celebrating Valentines Day tonight? I’m taking 3 of my single friends with me to see YOU at the Xcel center!! God bless you in all you do. You inspire me and are truly gifted!

6. Meagan arthur February 14, 2014 at 7:52 am - Reply

I must say that four years ago today I gave my heart to the Lord. At that time I was a single young woman in desperate need of attention and love. I was looking for love on all the wrong places. God spoke to me and said that I would need to learn above love from the One who created love. That I would need to trust Him with my heart so He can place it where it belongs. Valentines Day 2010, I gave my heart to God and trusted Him completely. I was finally content with myself and being single. God worked so quick and blessed my obedience to Him. One month after being baptized and becoming Jesus’ bride, I met my husband. Fours later we have a beautifully family and are growing in God together. Remember, that God loves you more than anybody else on your life, and He has already chosen that will love you as Jesus loves His bride.

7. Nickie Reagan February 14, 2014 at 7:53 am - Reply

Enjoyed your blog all week. I’m going to take my daughter to watch s movie and just spend time together..

8. Veronica February 14, 2014 at 7:54 am - Reply

I will be spending Valentine’s Day celebrating with my daughter and her husband on their 14th wedding anniversary today. That is the best way for this single mom to celebrate this day of love…”loving on them!” God is soooooo good! /

9. Cindy Murphy February 14, 2014 at 7:56 am - Reply

Thank You. I find Valentine’s Day depressing. It means a lot . Thank You for your encouragement.
    Cindy

10. Linda February 14, 2014 at 7:57 am - Reply

I am spending the evening with my wonderful church family that has Valentines Banquet for singles and marrieds, its supposed to be lots of fun. Having been separated the singles thing is new to me. My goal being single again is to be the best mom to my children that I can be and follow Jesus. If I were to get into another relationship it has to be with someone who is running after Jesus too.

11. Rachel Palmer February 14, 2014 at 8:00 am - Reply

I am having a “Jesus is my Valentine” time later today! I have set aside some extra time today to just be in the presence of the Lover of my soul, and to praise Him for this season of singleness. Being single is teaching me to go deeper and deeper with Him!

12. Kristen February 14, 2014 at 8:06 am - Reply

As a preschool teacher I would have been spending Valentines day with 24 children running around full of sugar but God had a different plan! Due to the snow storm I get to celebrate Valentines day with Jesus today! My one true love and I’m blessed to say Monday I get to celebrate again with all my children (mind you I wouldn’t have it any other way). But today I get to relax and be in the presence of The Lord remembering that he loves me and the season of struggle that I may be in he’s their right beside me and will turn it into something beautiful. I’ve always longed for a husband and reading this blog helped take the sting out of being one of the only single people out of all my friends. I had never thought of singleness as a gift before but when it comes down to it at this pt in my life it is such an amazing gift. I’ve been so distracted with asking God when and why that I’ve never really stopped and looked around to see the beauty of being single during this season of my life! Thanks for reminding me just how much God loves me and how he knows exactly what he’s doing.

Kristen

13. Cindy Weatherford February 14, 2014 at 8:13 am - Reply

I love the encouragement to take every thought captive, it is too easy to listen to the whisper of Satan of “what if’s” instead of delighting in the joy of what God has given me today. I never thought I would be a single again after divorce but God has redeemed and continues to redeem this season of life. Thank you for your blog of wisdom to encourage us all today

14. Jules February 14, 2014 at 8:13 am - Reply

I bought valentines for my niece and nephew whom I will sit today because they are
    Off from school I have a table decorated with all kinds of sweets and goodies. My sister made cookies and chocolate covered berries and pretsels so there is lots of sweets I bought balloons for my siblings and will buy flowers for my mom. God has been so good. I’m single but cannot complain.

15. Cathy R February 14, 2014 at 8:15 am - Reply

Hi Mandisa- How am I going to celebrate today? Just like any other. It’s the world that gave us Valentines Day and it’s the world that gives us all the expectations that go along with it. Married or single the enemy uses things like this to distract us from what is really important. Jesus died for us and that is the love story I’m focusing on today and everyday because the “troubles” we face in this world are but a vapor in the picture of eternity. So I’m going to celebrate that The Lord gave me one more day to serve Him on this earth and do just that…serve. May The Lord bless everyone with gratitude today because with it none of the other stuff really matters anyway ❤️

16. Kaylee February 14, 2014 at 8:18 am - Reply

Thanks again for all of the encouragement this week Mandisa! As a college student with many of my friends dating or engaged right now sometimes it can be sort of awkward. However, I’ve decided that Jesus is my valentine today and am trying to show love to others! I took some small valentines cookies to my workplace this morning and plan to spend my evening with my younger sisters! That way my parents can spend this Valentines Day together celebrating their marriage! I continue to pray for my future and also I pray for my friends who are engaged or in relationships. It really helps me to forget about the fact that I’m not in a relationship when I pray for others and their relationships! 🙂

17. Dawn February 14, 2014 at 8:18 am - Reply

I’m celebrating love today by honoring my mother and father’s 40 year long marriage (they will be married 41 years in May)! I am going to go visit with them, my siblings and nephews to celebrate the love we share as a family.

I’m 30 and have never been married but I thank God everyday that I got to be raised by a mother and father that loved God, each other, and their children. They raised me to be content with God at the head of my life even if no husband was in my future. I am very grateful that I got to see a good marriage and how if you keep God in the center it all works out in the end. You cant buy lessons learned like that.

Like you Mandisa, I have learned to be content with life as God’s plan. No matter if I get married or not I will be happy watching my nephews grow up and enjoy being the daughter, sister, aunt, and friend that God made me to be. That keeps me busy enough! 😉

18. Debbie Freeman February 14, 2014 at 8:21 am - Reply

I am divorced. I have spent most if my life wanting to be loved by a man. But, God is teaching me that His love is the only love I need. He is to be first in my life. He loves me all the time. While, I was hoping that a man would pursue me, God has shown me that He has always been the one pursuing me!!!! What a revelation for me. I am grateful that HHe loves me! Oh how He loves us!!

• Davicia March 16, 2014 at 8:17 pm - Reply

Your post brought to my mind the promises of Isaiah 54. Those verses of scripture have been such a comfort to me in my singleness. Praise God for remembering those without a husband or children!

• Rana March 16, 2014 at 8:29 pm - Reply

I have never been married and I turned 40 last month. The world tries to make a woman feel like something is wrong with her if she finds herself in my situation. I thank God for my singleness. I didn’t always feel this way and it doesn’t mean that I don’t want to be married……it means I’m learning to be content in the state in which I am in and Isaiah 54 is an awesome chapter for singles. We are loved by the best Lover of all!

19. Amy February 14, 2014 at 8:28 am - Reply

Valentine’s Day is what you choose to make of it. As singles, we have the opportunity to give our hearts and lives completely abandoned to Christ. God wants to have our all, not our leftovers from the day. I know God is my Husband at this time, He’s done some amazing things for me and my son. He continues to prove His love over and over to me. I am so blessed to know that the more I become like Him, the more my dreams, desires, life goals, and passions change to reflect His heart and desires for me. Verses that I hold on to when I start getting discouraged are Song of Solomon 4:1,7- 1) You are beautiful, my darling, beautiful beyond words. 7) You are altogether beautiful, my darling, beautiful in every way. I also go to Ruth 1:9a- “May the LORD bless you with the security of another marriage.”… God knows just what we need and when we need it. I truly believe that when we run toward Him and allow Him to be our everything, He will provide His desires for us. Don’t get me wrong, it gets discouraging at times, but during those times we need to remember that He loves us and has plans for us that are far beyond our wildest imaginations.

20. Rachel February 14, 2014 at 8:55 am - Reply

I’m celebrating by being more helpful around my home. My mom works and goes to school, my brother is out of town, and my sister is working today. I’m the only one off work AND home. So I hope to be able to take this time and help them out, show them my love for them as they have often shown me. I can’t afford much this year, but we were raised as a family to believe that it’s the little things and it’s the thought behind it all that counts. I have been blessed with so much unconditional love this Valentine’s Day from my friends, my family, and most of all, my Lord and Savior. I’m learning little by little to be content with where I am b/c I know God has great plans for me despite what I hope for myself! I hope I can find big ways to spread all this love around!

21. Kathy B February 14, 2014 at 9:06 am - Reply

Thanks Mandisa for your posts this week. I needed this post today. I’m celebrating the day with a group of friends, some are married and a few of us are singles.

22. Bill trotter February 14, 2014 at 9:11 am - Reply

I lost my bride in2013,I’m asking myself what is Gods Will for my life,forward,I am lonely.im reading the bible everyday,Jesus is my friend,please pray I will follow his leading in my life

23. Kelly February 14, 2014 at 9:19 am - Reply

I’m going to spend time with my BFF today! God knows what I need and that’s friends that follow The Lord!

24. linda February 14, 2014 at 9:23 am - Reply

my husband and I will celebrate with our 3 grandkids we are fostering ages 11, 7 and 1. It will be a day showing our boys how much we love them! Heart shaped pancakes, heart shaped sandwiches and any other crazy ideas granny can come up with to show them how much they are loved! We will discuss the greatest love story and how much God adores them! I will also celebrate my husband who is willing to take in and love my boys when he is up in years and I am sure rather not but for love he does!!

25. Anila February 14, 2014 at 9:28 am - Reply

Hey Mandisa! I was so happy (and jealous) to get a cute picture of you and my sister Kelsey (from Iowa!) yesterday.
    I too have battled being single. I wanted to get married so deeply. I wanted (and still do) want babies. Married people ‘comfort’ me by saying, ” The Lord is using this time to prepare you.” ok, seriously! Be quite. The Lord uses any phase of our lives to prepare and use us.
    Another thought that occurred to me is that when that wonderful day of marriage finally comes, I do not want to look back on my single life and think what did i do during that time? I did not want the answer to be that I wasted it pining for the next phase. So I said, “Lord, you asked me to be single, make it an exciting adventure for me.” I traveled without abandon (with Kelsey! back in her single days), got a black belt in taekwando, discovered I have some pretty creative talents to make cards, do Henna, sing, and my personal favorite – COOK! 🙂 Who knew i could do all of that?! I certainly did not.
    When I finally get married, i want to enjoy that phase of my life as well knowing that i looted all the joy i possibly could from my single life! And to do the when i get married.

• Asha February 17, 2014 at 3:21 pm - Reply

Your message is so inspiring!! Thank you for sharing. It helps me with my single walk.

• Jasmine Gabriel February 19, 2014 at 1:02 pm - Reply

Hey you guys how are you?! My name is Jasmine Gabriel :)! I just recently got engaged. I’m black and my fiance is white. I love him to pieces but goodness the looks we get when we’re together. It’s funny to think that it’s 2014 and the looks on peoples faces are just that of disgust. The link that I’m about to post you can see our picture. Joshua and I are going to Peru on a mission trip in July. The 11th-18th. We go to Living Word Ministries in Stanley, NC. A couple of people from our church and from Hickory Grove Baptist are going on a mission trip in July. This page is for Joshua and I. The extra money that we raise will ither (or both) be given to whoever is short on raising money for the trip and/or also be given to Scripture Union, Peru to help with their needs. I’m not asking for much only at least $5.00. Every little bit will help. Thank you. God bless. You can email me at jasminevg95@gmail.com. The link to the site is http://www.gofundme.com/6xu2o8

• Quintrell Baltimore March 26, 2014 at 6:20 pm - Reply

Hey Mandisa, how are you I recently seen you on a talk show just the pass week. And, I appreciate your mission for the Lord Jesus it soo wonderful your music ministry. Also, your mission for health, your drive to lose weight and encouraging others to do it natures way working out. Whenever, you in the New Orleans, La area. I would like to come to a concert or meet you in person thanks a lot. Be Blessed, Quintrell

26. valerie February 14, 2014 at 9:41 am - Reply

I am spending the day alone… but that is fine. I too am single or should I say
    Divorced. But I’ve always felt single. That’s another story. It is ok however…
    I like being single. After experiencing both lives I am ok by myself.
    I’m less stressed and worried and can do thecthings I want to do without
    Wondering if someone will be angry. I am a giving person and so that’s what I’ll do.
    I am babysitting my daughters puppies and I’ll see my daughter and my two g~babies
    Later for dinner and give them some love. On my way now to pick
    Up some crafts stuff to make them some gifts. Thanks Mandisa and your friends
    for your blog… I’m glad to know others think it’s good to be single too.
    Love ya

27. Nicole February 14, 2014 at 9:44 am - Reply

I am sharing God’s love today by posting scripture and graphics on Facebook a.k.a. “lovebook” today telling everyone I love them and spreading the gospel. I also have a date with my Savior tonight. I enjoy my singleness today!

28. Kristen BYars February 14, 2014 at 9:53 am - Reply

What a blessing this week has been reading your blogs and encouraging each other to run hard after Jesus and lift each other up. To my surprise, I found myself headed for a divorce shortly after my return from She Speaks last summer. Single again with a 7 yr old daughter and a load of responsibility and work as a high school theatre teacher was not what I thought my new writing and speaking career would be centered around. How in the world do you find time to write more that a paragraph here and there in this season?!? Nonetheless, God’s timing is just that and I launched my long time dream this summer to share my story with the world. At the moment, it remains the story I tell -day by day -in bits and pieces. But one day it will get down on “paper” as they say. But even as i write this the Holy Spirit is tugging on my heart. Maybe the kind word, the prayer, the teachable moment…the hug or note or Facebook post is still my ministry for. My story – my “sticky note ministry” – is not finished. At age 43 I am headed to my first Passion conference tonight…and on my Christian birthday! What a wonderful way to walk through this season encouraging others younger than me while standing at a crossroads yet again. Let the Future Begin Tour…yes indeed.

29. Paige Moser February 14, 2014 at 10:18 am - Reply

Mandisa, I want to thank you for sharing! I really love it! I, still laying in bed at 10:30am, am now going to get up, get into the word of God, and then go out into the world! As a single women and just finally letting go of a BAD relationship, I know God wants me to be single for awhile. With being single I can then focus all of my time, thoughts, and love towards God and truly Grow! I’m very excited about this. God has to work on me before I becomes a We.
    I’m very thankful of you and your songs Mandisa. They have inspired me! Love

30. Cynthia February 14, 2014 at 10:21 am - Reply

I so loved what you had to say. I am usually so depressed on this day I just want to hide but not this year. I am really content. I live in a dorm at college and last night late went and hung bags of chocolate and little notes on everyone’s door. something my mom did for me as a kid. I miss her. The neat thing was when I opened the door I found notes and chocolate and pencils and fruit snacks and magnets. It was so cool.

31. Carol February 14, 2014 at 10:21 am - Reply

I always like to remember this saying: I already found “The One,” His name is Jesus. If there is a “second,” then thank the Lord!

32. Carol February 14, 2014 at 10:23 am - Reply

I’m spending the day with my dog. I simply refuse to let Valentine’s Day get me down. God has a reason for my being single. I have a Facebook “friend” who called it “Make Old Maids Feel Even Worse Day.” I’ve got her in my prayers today.

33. Laura February 14, 2014 at 10:32 am - Reply

Contentment and fulfillment. 🙂 Beautiful!

34. Jennifer Nixon February 14, 2014 at 10:34 am - Reply

I’m celebrating this day with my three awesome kiddos. Were gonna bake goodies for each other and give some to our neighbors. Gonna make my kiddos an awesome dinner,make some fun crafts and watch a movie or two. Hope everyone has a beautiful day! God is LOVE!!

35. Deb February 14, 2014 at 10:56 am - Reply

I love, love, love your post today! And the fact that you introduced me to some other wonderfully inspirational ladies. Let’s all let our lights shine bright and not be dimmed by self pity today!

36. Valerie February 14, 2014 at 11:00 am - Reply

I am celebrating with some of my family, one of my six children and her husband, son and another grandson. My daughter has planned a delicious meal for tonight and my son-in-law is handling the almost two feet of snow we have. My two-year-old grandson help create a beautiful card and gave me the best cuddles this morning. I am showing my love for my daughter and her family by the acts of service today. An unexpected snow day off from work allows me to give them a respite from their normal routine of housework and child care. And I will receive so much back, too! I know that I am very blessed to have the amazing gift of a large family. I would love to invite a few of my friends for a wonderful time of fellowship in a new Bible study.

37. Kari February 14, 2014 at 11:30 am - Reply

I am single and I am strong. I am Loved and I Love. I am celebrating Valentines by doing Valentines and baking cookies for my kids class parties. And tonight we will celebrate with Love Notes to each other and Dairy Queen Ice Cream Cake because Ice Cream is their favorite! My kids are adopted from the Foster Care system – 12, 8 & 6. I sometimes wonder if their life might be better with a “Dad” in the picture but I’m trusting God to fill those needs for them just like he fills the needs I have. Living to make a difference.

38. Eunice February 14, 2014 at 11:37 am - Reply

I’ll be spending Valentine’s day dreaming and praying about the future. Later in the evening, I’ll be attending an all night prayer meeting at church. So I get to spend valentine’s day with Jesus

39. Leilani February 14, 2014 at 12:21 pm - Reply

Tonight my roommate (who is a single mother) and I are going out to a fancy Italian dinner with her son. Then we will get dessert at the restaurant next door (using our 2 free vouchers, woohoo!) and go home to make the night an all nighter with watching a kids movie after dinner for her son and then an adult movie “pg-13” for us. This includes chocolate, fuzzy blankets and relaxing and having fun all at the same time. I was raised by a single parent so I truly appreciate this time in my life that God is showing basically what it would be like to go back in time and be a fly on the wall watching my mom take care of me and my sister. I am so happy and blessed to have a roommate who is also turning into one of my best friends and being able to be there for her as support as a friend and as she parents her son. I am so excited for tonight and it’s been a long time since I’ve been excited as a single woman about Valentine’s Day. I owe it all to God 🙂

40. Shannon February 14, 2014 at 12:29 pm - Reply

Dear Mandisa –

Your posts this week on singleness mean more to me than you could ever know. I respect, love and appreciate you and I’ve never even met you! God is doing AMAZING things through you!!! So girl keep singing, keep encouraging, keep lovin’ Jesus!!! And thank you for shining bright!

41. Rachel February 14, 2014 at 12:49 pm - Reply

As a sophomore in college, I realize I still have plenty of time to find a husband, if that’s what God desires for me someday. However, in the meantime, my friends and I are determined to reach our campus with the love of Christ. Today, to celebrate Valentine’s day, we made 250+ hearts with candy and bible verses about God’s love to pass out on our campus and tell our fellow students how they can enter into the greatest relationship ever – with our Lord and Savior! Then afterwords, my roommates and I are inviting all of our single friends over for desserts and games to enjoy fellowship with each other.

42. Samuel February 14, 2014 at 12:50 pm - Reply

It’s been a recent feeling for me much like Luci’s knowing that she was to be single for the rest of her life, although, I’m 10 years older than when she had her inspiring moment. As I look back, I see how God strayed me away from relationships that could have turned my life upside down. I dated a church worker who is an amazing woman but things just didn’t work out. I see now why God called me to seek a relationship with her. It was to show me that God uses ordinary people to do extraordinary things. It also was to show me that even though someone doesn’t forgive me, God still does. It showed me that I need to be a leader because of Jesus. Before, I was simply a follower, which is good. I want God to use me now than ever before! I want to do His will because it is what is best for me. A few friends of mine and I have started a young adult bible study and we are nearing the end of ‘Crazy Love’. We have been praying about what we are going to do next. I think I am going to get the Hebrews bible study by Lisa. But I need to talk with my friends first. Thanks for reading this if you do.

May God’s love and peace surround you,
    Samuel

43. Joy February 14, 2014 at 1:57 pm - Reply

My mom has to work today, so I will probably spend some time at home; maybe I can focus on God and put on some worship music!
    As far as remaining single, God did say He would give the desires of your heart; I had asked Him about this a few years ago and He answered through a lady that was doing a revival at another church, He said He had a mate for me, but He wants me to spend time with Him. He also kind of confirmed this a couple weeks ago at a prayer meeting through a lady I like to call one of my spiritual mamas. He said to not listen to guys when they talk their stuff to me, and He wants me to be in the place where He wants me, and I haven’t laid eyes on him yet. It’ll come in His timing!

44. Jonie February 14, 2014 at 2:29 pm - Reply

I am celebrating today by being thankful that I have my family who loves me and amazing friends that God has placed in my life as well as having a God who loves me so much even through those moments that I have not deserved his love.

45. Melissa February 14, 2014 at 2:45 pm - Reply

Have always loved hearing Lisa and Luci speak and treasure their writing. Today’s blog is no different. Thank you for giving a perspective that lightens this single chick’s heart. Blessings as we all sort through what it means to be a follower of Christ.

46. Charity February 14, 2014 at 2:56 pm - Reply

My Valentine’s day/week has actually been fun for the first time in YEARS, I mean literally since I was a teenager! I”ve always worn black and celebrated singles awareness day aka SAD. Yes, I know the irony of my name being Charity!

This year I decided to celebrate it and celebrate the people that I love, and my students (I’m a Piano Teacher). It’s been so much fun giving my students their hand made valentines and treats, seeing their faces light up and realizing they are loved. Priceless!

47. Alicia February 14, 2014 at 3:25 pm - Reply

I am perfectly content in my singleness!! Some from our singles group at church is going out tonight to listen to a friend of mines Motown band ( he is single and calling it single awareness day!) lol

48. Kim T February 14, 2014 at 3:28 pm - Reply

Sharing this day with my sister Karen

49. Gracie White February 14, 2014 at 3:55 pm - Reply

Today will celebrate being single. I know God has the perfect someone for me. I will keep my eyes on Jesus, and along the way of doing it I know God will let the perfect one cut in that is doing the same and desires the same things as I. So today will celebrate being single, I will celebrate LOVE with my family by chilling at home, watching movie, and maybe even doing a little cooking 🙂 And until the right one comes along I will continue to pray that God will send me the perfect one whether it be 1 year or 20 years from now! I will celebrate LOVE and the first man who ever LOVED!

50. heidi February 14, 2014 at 4:20 pm - Reply

I was unable to read your posts daily, but I did just catch up on them. Thank you for bringing so many great and godly women’s examples to us! There have been times that I was not fond of valentine’s day. In college, we called it as you did “single’s awareness day” and would wear yellow. Then when God gave me youth to minister to, we would celebrate as singles as well and our cups were yellow with smiley faces on them! But we were together.

Today, God continues to draw me closer to Him, and He is my Valentine and I couldn’t have it any better. I pray for my future spouse (because I believe the desire to get married and have kids comes from my Lord) and abandon my earthly desires at His feet. I too could be wrong, but I will strive to live the best life I can in front of the youth God continually gives to me that we don’t have to be drawn into the idea society has for us. I believe I am blessed and that God has protected me in keeping my purity for my future spouse, and I think Him often for his provision in my life.

51. Adelyn Pilarski February 14, 2014 at 4:40 pm - Reply

I spent my day watching how happy the couples were, but you know what! I was just as happy because I see all of God’s love notes all over the place and I know he is always there to be my valentine. The beautiful snow flakes, the cheerful mood and even the brownie from my friend were all little love noted from God. Each time I realized that I felt overjoyed to have such a wonderful Savior. I am never alone so I should never feel lonely:)

52. Kristen F February 14, 2014 at 4:41 pm - Reply

These words from Luci and Lisa are life affirming for me today. I have lived with a chronic illness for the last 20 years. It has caused me to dive deeper into my relationship with Jesus. I lean on him for everything and he has been my rock, my provider, the lover of my soul, through it all. I truly am content. I do have the desire in my heart to be married but I’m ok if that is not his will. I am living my life and walking through the doors he opens for me. I recently went back to school and finished my degree and I am teaching which is what I have always wanted to do. Today I have a cold so I am choosing to have a pajama day, watch movies and take it easy. I sent some Valentine love to my family and friends today and got the best message from my nephew who is 17 and still telling me he loves me. That made my day. For those of you who may be having a hard time today….Jesus loves you more than any person ever could. He has lived as a human and felt pain, he feels YOUR pain and he understands it. Tell him all about it and allow him to comfort you with his love.

53. Lisa G February 14, 2014 at 5:01 pm - Reply

I celebrated today by giving my co-workers valentine cookies and to my students, valentine cards. I am so encouraged by you Mandisa. Luci and Lisa as well, you are three beautiful thriving single ladies! Thank you for the Love Songs to Jesus playlist! I am off to watch Austenland!!! Dreaming of my Mr. Darcy, or better yet MY BOAZ!! Happy Valentine’s Day, Disa and all the other single ladies here!!!! We are loved by an awesome, amazing, caring God.

54. Karen February 14, 2014 at 5:05 pm - Reply

Wonder WOW WOW!! I’ve been living those.words for 43 years!! I too have felt the desire to be married but only today after reading this am I realizing that I need to change. I was always thinking I had the right point of view and leaving it in God’s hands until I read your blog. I just want to thank you for your insight into my life even though your much younger. Your point of view has helped me so much at my old age and singleness!! Your wise beyond your years!!!

55. Raine February 14, 2014 at 5:20 pm - Reply

I’m single and 32. Never been married, and never been in a relationship. For the last couple of months I thought that would all change with a close friend, who admittedly I had feelings for for more than 9 years. Unfortunately it crashed and burned before it really began. I woke up today dreading the implications of the day, but remembered about this blog and began to catch up on the week’s writings. I am so glad I did! My mood has most definitely changed, and I am looking forward to spending the evening with my two nieces (2 yrs & 2 mos) so that my sister and brother -in-law can have a night off. I am blessed to have those girls in my life and to give them all the love I have to share. Although I am trusting in the Lord for my future mate, I am also choosing to be joyful in the meantime. Finding my joy not in my relationship status, but in the His presence! Thanks Mandisa and God bless! Hope to catch you on the Hits Deep Tour in Cali next month 😉

56. Marla Puckett February 14, 2014 at 5:39 pm - Reply

I sent out Valentine Day cards to my single friends. I told one married couple how I enjoy having them in my life for an example of a godly Christian married couple. Also, praying for another couple’s marriage.

57. Emily Gisler February 14, 2014 at 5:40 pm - Reply

Being single is the most joyful, peaceful, lifestyle ever. I am so much closer and focused on God than I could ever be otherwise.

58. Sarah Kuhr February 14, 2014 at 5:40 pm - Reply

Spent my Valentine’s Day praising my Savior through devotion and song! Jesus is the only Valentine I need.

59. Mary Suzette February 14, 2014 at 5:54 pm - Reply

Tonight will be celebrated with other people from my church distributing “goody bags” to the homeless men and women of Washington, DC. Each bag contains basic needs like water, granola bars, a sandwich, hand warmers, etc. We do this every Friday night, but the difference with tonight is that we will also be giving out Valentine baked goods. As I sit at home waiting, I realized that for years on Valentine’s Day, I would silently complain about being single and mentally have those “woe is me” thoughts. I would never dare say it aloud, though! But what differs tonight is that this thought came to mind: most of us only feel alone on special occasions, like Valentine’s Day, or when we’re having a bad day. There are so many people who are living on the streets who feel alone all day, every day, with some for years! While I did not receive a bouquet of flowers or a box of chocolates, I will be more than happy and content to know that in just a couple hours, someone will feel loved . It might sound cliché, but “We love because he first loved us.” (I John 4:19)

60. Heather February 14, 2014 at 5:58 pm - Reply

Thanks Mandisa for sharing some of your friends’ stories with us! They are really encouraging! I, like the first friend mentioned, also don’t have a desire to get marrried. Valentine’s Day does sometimes just seem weird some years because I don’t even have a boyfriend (and I am 19!) and you see all these ‘love’ shows. It is just plain depressing sometimes. What a coincidence that you shared the passage in 1Corinthians 7! I read that just 4 days ago! It gave me such encouragement and now I have a different perspective on being single: I now love the idea even more! Paul was so right when he said that not being married (or even in a relationship with the opposite sex, for that matter) will give you time with the Lord to get close – so close that all you think about is Him – and get devoted to Him and not have to share a deep devotion with someone else! I don’t know what my relationship with the Lord would look like if I had a boyfriend right now; probably not as good as it is now, even if the boy was a godly man of God. Thanks again, Mandisa! God bless you!

61. Jennie R February 14, 2014 at 7:08 pm - Reply

Since I had to work today and I’m short in cash, I just opted Smile and wish my coworkers and customers along my mail route a very happy V-Day.

62. Laurel Wycoff February 14, 2014 at 8:38 pm - Reply

I decided to make my co-workers my valentines today. I bought each of my five ladies some lotion and body spray and included a couple of sweets in their bags. Tonight, I ordered pizza with kids and we had a family movie night. The only one missing is my oldest son who lives out of state.

63. Katie February 14, 2014 at 9:04 pm - Reply

Hey Mandisa,
    I have enjoyed these blogs this week. Today I spent the day not thinking about the fact that it was Valentine’s Day. Not because I dislike the day (as I have in the past), but because I stayed busy. I ended up out to dinner with my parents. My dad says he likes to take his two Valentine’s out on Valentine’s Day. Today hasn’t been as bad as I usually make it out to be and I think I am finally coming to terms that I am worth the wait and that when God chooses to send the right guy He will.

64. Tiffani Goodin February 14, 2014 at 9:22 pm - Reply

My day is spent knowing I have a Heavenly Father that loves me more than any earthly man could!

65. Summer Richie February 14, 2014 at 9:36 pm - Reply

I am a single mom. My baby boy just turned one today!

66. dawn hentzi February 14, 2014 at 9:40 pm - Reply

I have been married and I have 6 great kids and well being divorced now for 11 years and find myself living with my x husband again has been more then I can handle. We are roommates, and yes at first we were intimate, but I stopped this because itis wrong, I love him , but he will be leaving again once the house him and his mom are buying goes through. The way I have not lost my head, ( my x still has a small piece of my heart) but I gave the rest to thelord and he loves me provides for me and has never left me, I am in college now getting my career, just recently lost my job but the lord always takes great care of me. I have enjoyed seeing and reading about how you all handle this, our lord is almighty and we will have the right love in his time. God bless you all Happy Valentines Day! Hugs n love to all!

67. Mary Geisen February 14, 2014 at 9:48 pm - Reply

Oh Mandisa I was so blessed by your post today. I have been both married and single-currently single and have experienced love in both circumstances. The greatest love has been as a single because God is first in my life and from that relationship so much life flows forth. Today love is celebrated and honored by me as I thank God for His infinite love and as I pass this love onto others in my life. Love increases as it is shared and I felt that today as many around me shared love with me.

68. a February 14, 2014 at 10:22 pm - Reply

I am truly divided, at one time i could say all i desired was Jesus and not a mate, in fact it scared to think i could be single forever, but i suppose its not so bad. I did want a family but it seems so difficult that maybe its not Gods best for me. Now im not always jumping up and down about being single, i truly grieve the loss of family and the intense lonliness, its definately a battle but i suppose God will give me the grace, maybe thats why it never worked out. Im learning myself i cant say i didnt at least in my flesh desire, but im praying the Lord give me pure and His desires for me

69. Taryn February 14, 2014 at 10:41 pm - Reply

I spent my Valentine’s with my small group, which couldn’t of been more perfect. We are a random group of people…some married, some not. Some old enough to be grandparents, one has 5 children under 13. But they are family. They are people I love. And what better of a way to spend Valentine’s Day than with the people I love 🙂

70. Pamela Cruz February 14, 2014 at 11:02 pm - Reply

With so much expectation placed on this day, it can leave so many disappointed, rejected and just plain left out. Valentines Day seems more like a day created by the greeting card companies to guilt us into displaying our affections with the materiel. They are pushing a “must do’ “if you really loved me” agenda. Many gifts given can be guilt driven as opposed to just a natural show of loving affection.
    In recent years I have started to see things differently. And I am wondering why and how we as Christians continue to allow this too happen? We allow ourselves to be victims of a day for greeting cards companies, florists and chocolateers to gain massive profits off of love, when The Message of our Lord & Savior Jesus Christ is consistant, outrageous love every day! Not just one day a year! Not one day that leaves a huge chunk of the population feeling like crap because they don’t get a card or a box of chocolates!
    So my challenge for us all is lets love large and loud and lavishly EVERY DAY! Then in our complete and total exhaustion from loving on overdrive 365.. we get today off…Lets reverse it!

Love & Blessings to all,
    Pam Cruz

71. Amy February 14, 2014 at 11:12 pm - Reply

I celebrated the holiday by giving gifts to my parents and secret pal as well as listening to songs about how much God loves me.

72. rebecca February 14, 2014 at 11:37 pm - Reply

All my family ask me why i dont date. My answer is they are not right for me ,God has a man for me and he will let me know when its time to date. So i wanted a child, and there was a chance to adopt a child from uganda . I prayed about it,and prayed about. I fell in love with the child, God gave me peace about adopting him. Hes my baby boy. So wether i get married or not i have the only men i need God and my son. They will never leave me.

73. Hydie Bean February 15, 2014 at 12:03 am - Reply

I am sharing love by spending time with my neice who is having a rough time at home and she is only 4.

74. Rachael February 15, 2014 at 12:19 am - Reply

Thanks fir this article Mandissa! I got to spend tonight with my daddy and other members of my family. I choose this day as a chance to share the love of Jesus with myfriends who don’t know Him. many of them are single or divorced and feel abandoned on this day. Then, my dad chooses this day to show me that even though I don’thave a husband, people still love me.

75. Lauren February 15, 2014 at 12:40 am - Reply

I am a student in college surrounded by people getting engaged and married, people breaking up even after years of dating, strong christian relationships and some of the most dysfunctional relationships I’ve ever seen. As i reflected today on Valentines Day and what it means, I realized that it so much is about promoting an earthly love in a earthly ways. It’s so easy to get caught up in it all and forget that we have a “heavenly valentine” that loves us deeply and more completely than any kind of earthly love ever could! And while yes as an “always been single” 21 year old who’s never had a Valentine it’s hard to not get get swallowed up by loneliness and longing, I have made a decision today to switch my focus away from what the world tells me about love and instead to focus on what God tells me about love! So to answer your question…today I’m celebrating the perfect, unconditional love he has for me, a treasured daughter of Christ 🙂
    Ps: I’ve been listening to your song “Praying for You” on like, repeat today…your blog and your music are such an AMAZING encouragement to me!! Keep shining his light <3

76. Lori Seehausen February 15, 2014 at 2:54 am - Reply

Being single isn’t easy especially when my desire is to re-marry…but working in a elementary school I see lots of hurting kids …..each Valentines day…I make sure that every student in my school has valentine cards to pass out to their class mates…just to see the joy on they’re faces makes it worth while knowing someone cares for them ….this year I gave out 356 valentine cards to my students to pass out…. Before they leave my classroom I let them know Jesus loves them…so when I feel lonely or sad I remind myself that I gave of myself to give joy to others ….I do other things for our students during Christmas as well… showing them the love that the lord has for me and them is tge bottom line

77. Susan February 16, 2014 at 6:12 am - Reply

Hey Mandisa,

I’m 46. Born-again 11 years. Didn’t even want to think about getting married through my 20’s, pursued college and a career as a Park Ranger. At 32, thought, “Uh-oh…I should be married by now or in the next few years. Where did the time go?” That panic thinking drove me down many heart wrenching paths, which brought me to my knees and into a relationship with Jesus Christ.
    After 5 years of being a born-again Christian and seeking a strong relationship with God through Jesus Christ in Bible study, serving, counseling, and countless seminars on marriage/Love&Respect, etc. I thought, well surely this man who now holds my interest is God’s booby prize for all my hard work and efforts. Then the bottom dropped out on the relationship and God dealt with my hard heart. What I really thought of men, what God thinks about men, what God thinks about me and how God plans on growing me into the godly woman He created me to be.
    First of all, people tried to encourage me with promises of God has someone special for you. But when I checked with God he told me that while people made those promises to me, He never promised me a husband but He still wanted me to be as active in the Church and my community, serving him…not to earn a prize.
    So, I said, “Well, if you’re going to be my husband, then what does that look like? He has shown himself faithful to be my provider. I have employment, a home, job skills, transportation. He is my companion. I can talk with him whenever I want or need to and He has my best interest in mind, ALWAYS with no hidden agenda. If I’m willing to follow his lead, He takes me on some real life adventures knowing that He is always there with me and that I’m NOT alone.
    So, the past 6 years have been about trusting God’s faithfulness in his presence and provision. I have been so blessed!
    Recently,though, I read a scripture that nailed me right between the eyes with conviction. Proverbs 30:21-23 NLT “There are three things that make the earth tremble– no, four it cannot endure: a slave who becomes a king, an overbearing fool who prospers, a bitter woman who finally gets a husband…” Whoa! Check my heart on that one!
    I took that to the LORD and said, “I do not want to be that bitter woman, one of four things that the earth cannot endure! Please search my heart, and heal me. Keep me from making a sour mistake in haste.” Is there bitterness? Oh yeah! Buried, but there.
    That shook me out of a slumber. So, now, I’m living my life intensionally to the full. I’m starting to schedule and plan out things that I can look forward to. I’ve had to spend the past six years focusing on my job and there wasn’t room for the fun stuff of life. There are seasons in life like that. But from this day forward, I’m building into my schedule, my life things of God that bring me joy! Giving me a glad and joyful heart.
    Isn’t scripture wonderful? 🙂 Life changing.

78. Esther February 18, 2014 at 11:48 am - Reply

I agree it’s not bad to be single as long as you have God that’s all you need I remeber when I was younger I was always thinking about dating and having a boy friend and when I turned 16 I was aloud to date but then I realized and dont need no boyfriend to be happy I need God so for all you single people don’t be mad be happy that you have someone who’s loves you and will never fail you that person is God

79. Vince Y. Hines February 19, 2014 at 12:46 pm - Reply

I am 31 and I am single. I have gotten very hurt in the past because I was friends with guys before they got married, now if I was to see them most times they won’t say more than hi. My best friend, her husband and I use to work together. We were all friends before they got married. But guess what my bestie also knows that her husband and I were friends before they were married and we still are. Yes I have called him to go out to eat or to just chat ( and we went by ourselves). Nothing happened or never will. I love both of them. And I think of her as a sister and him as a brother. They have been married for 9 years. They even had some problems last year and neither one told me at first because they didn’t want to get me stuck in the middle and get hurt. So not everyone can say that if your married you can’t be friends with the opposite sex, and it always lead to sin. It’s about trust and faith. I have prayed with both of them and cried with both of them. We have even went on vacations together.

80. Irene Nanyonga February 20, 2014 at 6:56 am - Reply

Today a friend of mine told me am abnormal, not dating always smiling, listening to other people’s problems and me not bothering them with mine. He says that is boring but oh i love my life, and today also I watched Jamie Grace’s video of boys boys boys and am so content that am single and I am determined to use my singleness in God’s kingdom.
    May God help me live my life to the glory of His name..
    Thanks Disa

81. cherie corey March 27, 2014 at 12:09 pm - Reply

I am sharing this with my Mom. She is in her 70’s and recently widowed, yet still feels like she is alone. She is so very sad and where she lives, there is no Family there. Im trying to help her sell her home so she can move closer to us. “I”am not able to help her as I should. Not only do I have MS, but on October 5 was granted custody of my 3 year old grandson. My life has changed 180 degrees. Im doing the best I can by him, but just dont have it in me to spread any thinner. Been praying for miracles, and I know God can do this. Thank you for finding your strength to keep going as you do..

82. a March 30, 2014 at 4:08 pm - Reply

I can say i never desired marriage but i dont think it was Gods best because of all my family conflicts and sin. Then i wonder did God really intend for me to marry at all bc i mean if He wants something it happens, now im too tired so its like who cares.lol. But i think i wasnt willing to submit MY will for what God wants for me, so ultimately its really up to Him whats best. So i kind of have so much to get over now it doesnt seem possible. I dont know but i dont want marriage to be an idol its important but its not EVERYTHING. You can have a successful life and not be married, if you can swing it..its hard unless you have the grace.

• a March 30, 2014 at 4:12 pm - Reply

Cant say lol. I think i desired it bc OTHER people had it not necessarily bc i wanted it, i mean i did a little, but yeah i dont think i have the grace im over it