Unfinished

//Unfinished

My new single “Unfinished” was released today on all platforms. Click here to listen.

I’ve been thinking about the importance of the message in my latest song. I beat myself up … a lot. I would never talk to anyone the way I speak to myself sometimes. Ask me what my best qualities are and it would take me a long time to compile a list. But ask me what I don’t like about myself and buckle up, because I can rattle off that list in 3.5 seconds flat! I know I’m not alone in that harmful habit. I believe it is time for the children of God to stop wallowing in shame and regret, and start living lives of freedom, power, and authority. We do that by taking those destructive thoughts captive, and making them obedient to Christ (2 Corinthians 10:5).

In Luke 4, Jesus was hounded by the devil in the wilderness. Rather than getting in a philosophical debate with Satan, each time Jesus was tempted, He simply spoke the Word of God and kept it moving.

But Jesus told him, “No! The Scriptures say, ‘People do not live by bread alone.’  Luke 4:4 NLT

Jesus replied, “The Scriptures say, ‘You must worship the LORD your God and serve only him.’  Luke 4:8 NLT

Jesus responded, “The Scriptures also say, ‘You must not test the LORD your God.’  Luke 4:12 NLT

If it worked for Jesus, it works for me! Now when I hear those negative thoughts in my head, I am learning to respond with the truth of God’s Word.

• When I sin and want to pull away from God in shame, after I repent, I’ll proclaim that, “I confess my sin and know that God is faithful to forgive and cleanse me. Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those that belong to Christ Jesus, like me. I am more than a conqueror, and nothing can separate me from the love of God!” (1 John 1:9, Romans 8:1, 37-39)

• When I look in the mirror and don’t like what I see, I’ll declare that, “Because I look to God, I am radiant, and not covered in shame. I have a true beauty that goes beyond outward appearance, and shines from the inside out. My heart displays an unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God.” (Psalm 34:5, 1 Samuel 16:7, 1 Peter‬ ‭3:3-4‬)

• When I feel anxious and hopeless that I’ll ever overcome the struggles that I always seem to face, I’ll speak life by saying, “I celebrate the truth that God began a good work in me, and will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns. I am not a mess. I am not a failure. I am not a mistake. I’m just unfinished.” (Philippians‬ ‭1:6‬)

2017-03-09T12:29:11+00:00 Mar 9th|Blog|51 Comments

1. Wendy March 9, 2017 at 12:35 pm - Reply

Loved reading this today as I was reminded about this exact scripture this past week as I felt as if I was under a spiritual attack and looked to the example Jesus gave us in that same situation. So thankful our Savior already has this in hand – that He has written answers in His word that carries us even 2,000 years later! Thank you for being honest and open Mandisa!

Excited to be a part of the worship experience this weekend in Rochester 🙂 See you there!!

2. Tammy hedlund March 10, 2017 at 6:43 am - Reply

This really hit home for me. Very true words thank you!

3. Nichole March 10, 2017 at 6:44 am - Reply

You are such an inspiration Mandisa. I’m thankful that you’re continuing to make music. We need your gifts.
    I’m dealing with some fear, and I’m going to write out some promises from the Word and put them on my fridge, so I will see them instead of letting thoughts of “what could happen” live in my mind.
    God Bless!

4. Cynthia March 10, 2017 at 6:48 am - Reply

Amen!!!!!! Thank you for this meditation. It is like a personal pep rally. HE is not done with me. HE has not given up on me and HE never will. HE loves me just the way I am. Only HE loves me that way. WOW!!! Unfinished but being molded and changed every day to a be more like HIM.

5. Margaret Kempf March 10, 2017 at 6:54 am - Reply

One of the main reasons that I love your music is because you are real in who you are and what you are going through! Thank you for being humble and brave and sharing your struggles with us. It helps to know that we are not alone in those same struggles! I pray blessings over you and I know God is bringing you through the trials to victory!!

6. Jill March 10, 2017 at 7:01 am - Reply

Thank you Mandisa. You always seem to say exactly what I am feeling. I so appreciate your perspective because it always comes from a place of love and hope. I, like you am very hard on myself and would have a very hard time telling you what’s good about me. But God knows what’s good and amazing and loved about us both and when the evil one makes us doubt, we just have to look to God’s word to know the truth. Xoxo

7. Marlene March 10, 2017 at 7:03 am - Reply

Read the book. If you could see as Jesus sees. Elizabeth oates

8. Debbie March 10, 2017 at 7:05 am - Reply

Love your music, favorite is Overcomer can’t wait to hear Unfinished, God bless you for all you do.

9. Donna Slazinski March 10, 2017 at 7:19 am - Reply

This is amazing. See you in Pittsburgh

10. Lisa Harness March 10, 2017 at 7:33 am - Reply

Amen!

11. Kamera March 10, 2017 at 7:42 am - Reply

Thank you for sharing..I love your music..it has helped me through some rough times in my life….thank you for continuing to bless the world with your music..so excited to see you at MSG next week!

12. Nadine Archuleta March 10, 2017 at 7:47 am - Reply

Thank you Mandisa! I needed that! God Bless!

13. Kristine Noland March 10, 2017 at 7:48 am - Reply

Beautiful! I am unfinished too!

14. Gidget Browder March 10, 2017 at 7:49 am - Reply

Thank you for being genuine and honest in your words and in your music. I’m going to let my 12 year old daughter read this. She is going through all the doubts 12 year olds go through. She gets frustrated because she feels short and fat when she clearly isn’t. She has a beautiful singing voice, but is so critical of herself, she won’t sing for others. She just lost her father in September due to complications during heart surgery. They were very close, he was her biggest fan, he gave her strength. I’m just praying with all my heart that she will continue to look to her Heavenly Father for guidance and that God will give me strength to help fill this void in her life. Thank you again for the positive music you give our teenage girls. The very first song my daughter sang that I knew her voice was special was your song “Where You Begin”.

15. Stephanie March 10, 2017 at 8:03 am - Reply

Mandisa, God called you for such a time as this. Sister, I am beyond thankful for your music! May God be glorified and may His Spirit encourage hearts with this song. #Unfinushed

• Stephanie March 10, 2017 at 8:04 am - Reply

#Unfinished

16. Sonshine March 10, 2017 at 8:27 am - Reply

Thank you for your raw, open to the light honest testimonials!
    Abba Father help us all to live in the light where healing is, not just for ourselves but for those who hear You talking thru our lives.

17. Beverly ware March 10, 2017 at 8:35 am - Reply

Thank you for your devotion!! You have a God given talent in spreading God’s word in your music!!!

18. Janet March 10, 2017 at 8:37 am - Reply

You inspire so many everyday with your music and message. You are one of my favorite go to artists when I need picked up. Look in that mirror and see beautiful, read these messages and know you are a vessel of hope!

19. Emily March 10, 2017 at 8:47 am - Reply

Mandisa, you have always been so encouraging and I admire you so much! Every song you do, I relate to. You are a wonderful example of Christ! Keep doing what your doing. God bless!

20. Iris Lovato March 10, 2017 at 9:01 am - Reply

Sweet sister, you spoke directly to my heart. Philippians 1:6 is one of my life verses. I have a water bottle that says, “I’m available work in progress” to help me remember God is still working on me, and I’m still in the oven. You Stay Blessed & lean into HIM.

21. Bri March 10, 2017 at 9:32 am - Reply

This song came out at just the right time for me!!! 🙂

22. Dana Finley March 10, 2017 at 9:42 am - Reply

Beautiful uplifting positive song u are awesome thank u for being a inspiration u are such a blessing I am excited for your new album 🙂 this song will b #1 and deserves #1

23. Ann swindle March 10, 2017 at 9:55 am - Reply

Just thank you.

24. Owen Ivan March 10, 2017 at 9:58 am - Reply

Wow, thanks Mandisa, u always talk to my heart with all of your songs.#unfinished. What a song.

25. Danielle Walk March 10, 2017 at 10:29 am - Reply

Amen well said. I know what you mean I often beat myself up and often I’m my worst enemy. In my head I think I’m not good enough and that I don’t deserve Gods love. I have to keep stopping myself and reminding myself that none of us are perfect. We are all sinners and that I’m a a sinner saved by Gods grace. When Jesus died on the cross he knew I would be born a sinner but yet he still died on that cross for me.

Your music lifts my spirit so much and reminds me always of Gods love for me. I love watching your videos on instagram and seeing your smiling face it always makes my day better. May God overflow you with blessings every day.

Your sister in Christ
    Danielle Walk

26. Marcia Miller March 10, 2017 at 4:21 pm - Reply

Mandisa~. I am sure you don’t remember me but we met on the monorail at Disney and then bumped into each other again at lunch. I just wanted to say once again how much you have touched my heart. I had just lost my mom the first time we met and your songs really helped me through that time in my life and gave me hope! You truly are a blessing!

27. angel brown March 10, 2017 at 8:41 pm - Reply

Thank You for that song it spoke to me and how I feel I am just like you said I struggle on a daily basis and now I have a beautiful song and a wonderful message that goes with it I have thought I was the only one with this struggle glad to have a amazing song and even more amazing God that’s with me always his promise never will I leave you not for sake you

28. Carol P. March 10, 2017 at 8:56 pm - Reply

As a Christian artist, people assume you have it all together. Peeling back the layers and revealing yourself to your fans has humbled me into realizing you struggle as much if not more than the rest of us. Hearing this song #Unfinished and reading your blog today made me finally realize the struggles you and I face daily are not to tear us down but to use them to draw us closer to God to build character, strength, confidence, and overcome the giants that get in our way. I am not a mess! I am not a failure! I am not a mistake! Thank you, Mandisa for reminding us what Philippines 1:6 says. I can celebrate life and the truth because I am a masterpiece that’s unfinished.

29. Karmen M. March 10, 2017 at 11:27 pm - Reply

Amen!

Ephesians 2:10New Living Translation (NLT)

10 For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.

We are already His masterpiece we just need to keep walking in that truth until we catch up in time to His perfect design.

30. Debbie March 11, 2017 at 12:31 am - Reply

Mandisa…In your FB live you sang your new song ‘Unfinished” but before you sang it you revealed your heart and struggles. You said at one point the enemy almost won by convincing you that you didn’t belong in this world.I have many of the same struggles, telling myself I’m worthess because I can’t control my weight…I’ve had 2 spinal surgeries and am in pain 24/7, and 3 weeks ago I lost my dad. Dear Sister, the enemy almost won with me also last week. But God in His mercy sent friends and family my way…just as you said He did for you. Thank you for reminding me that He’s not finished with me yet. Whenever you feel like you’re not making a difference, encourage your heart with all of these messages.

31. Cheryl March 11, 2017 at 8:58 am - Reply

Dear Mandisa,

My son and I went to see you in concert last night as you have been one of the anointed musicians on our list to see for a long time. When you came out on stage and began to sing, God just started pouring out His love for you in my heart until I was completely overwhelmed by His love for you. I can SO relate to your struggles, both physically and mentally. Ironically, I home school my son who I know God is raising up to sing songs of hope and deliverance, and we were just studying the temptations of Christ as you mention in your blog above. And as you mentioned, Jesus did not use ‘whatever’ words to come against the enemy, He said, “IT IS WRITTEN” so that WE know how to also come against the enemy and win.
    I don’t know if this is to be true with you, but I believe there are many times you do not want to come out on that stage because of how you may think you look or feel, but as one sister in Christ, you BLESSED me so much because you DID!

The humility that it takes for someone like you in the public eye to step OUT anyway is what takes the enemy against your soul DOWN! You humbled yourself before the Lord and us by opening up your heart and admitting your struggles. That act alone is one of the most powerful weapons you have alongside your music. I know by the Spirit that your honesty and humility showed other women there that their struggles with the same are not just real, but shared by even someone like you and in the midst of those struggles, you can OVERCOME by just stepping out of it and pushing forward. Do not look at your physical appearance as a struggle any longer but as a mighty weapon in pulling down strongholds in the body of Christ every time you step on that alter (aka stage)!

My son and I are praying for you Mandisa…praying that God uses you, the good, the bad, the weak, the strong, the defeats, the victories, ALL of YOU to SET THE CAPTIVE FREE!

We love you so!

32. Nancy Williams March 11, 2017 at 12:46 pm - Reply

What a wonderful testimony and powerful song! Thank you for speaking out! God uses you for His message and I needed it today! God bless you! Go girl! The grace and glory of our Lord Jesus is ever present in our time of need!

33. Lisa March 11, 2017 at 9:48 pm - Reply

Amen and Amen. We walk together in this. Praying for you, sister in Christ.

34. Paula Cassarino March 12, 2017 at 2:38 pm - Reply

I was blessed to see you perform last night in Rochester NY with Toby Mac Deep Dive Tour; phenomenal show!
    When your music set completed, I turned to my friend who was not familiar with your work, and said, “Doesn’t she have the most amazing and beautiful voice?” and my friend said, “Yes, and the spirit of Jesus shines through her.”
    Many thanks you and the other artists for blessing us in Rochester NY last night!!
    God’s love and grace to you.
    Paula

35. pcjae March 12, 2017 at 6:57 pm - Reply

I’m cheering you on, Mandisa! It was sad for me to hear that you were in a depression. I think you’re so great! I’m sure we’d be great friends if you were my neighbor, and I would NOT let you talk down about yourself. But, I have that exact same problem, so thanks for the reminder that we shouldn’t talk to ourselves any differently than we’d talk to someone else. I love your music and am heading to iTunes right now to download your new stuff. Hope to see you at Unity Christian Music festival some time SOON again.

36. Sharita Peoples March 13, 2017 at 7:19 am - Reply

This is a powerful song! I first heard it on KLOVE – 94.1. It is AMAZING! i have to get a copy. This is totally lined up with what my Pastor has been speaking on over the past few weeks. Soooooooo UPLIFTING!

37. Laquinton Wagner March 15, 2017 at 4:53 pm - Reply

Ibelieve it was 2007 when was 19yrs old u came to muskegon michigan. U were at a festival there.
    I was a new foster care alumnus, newly homeless living in a homeless shelter there.
    My shelter was asked to volunteer to direct parking.
    We were allowed to see one act for free and i knew of u from Idol so naturally i chose u.
    I was in a lime green shirt they gave us with the festival name on it front row a little to ur right.
    As u sang “only the world” i began to cry because of the weight of the life i had been given and the things happening to me at that time.
    For my whole life id suffered with severe depression and suicidal urges. I felt so hopeless so lost so beaten down.
    Its like u sensed it cuz u didnt even skin the crowd when the second chorus came… U looked right at me. And for the full chorus u looked at me smiling and nodding.
    Ill never forget the feeling of hope that washed over me in that moment.
    For the first time in my life i realized this IS only the worod and i DO possess the strength within myself to survive my storms.
    “Unfinished” came at another breakthru time in my life. A time where im having a lot of trouble looking in the mirror and loving wat i see and wat ive become. Not thru my own stubborn faults but thru life circumstances beyond my control.
    Today im reevaluating everything and realizing wat an AMAZING man i have become and that despite wat others may think about wat ive accomplished and wat i have im still unfinished and hes still working on the final masterpeice of me.
    Thank u for ten yrs of hope.

38. Sherrie Owens March 16, 2017 at 8:59 am - Reply

Our Refit instructor shared your blog message this week in class as the devotional. Such power and strength to be gained, when we give up, and give all to God! Then we are truly Overcomers! I overcame my fears and insecurities when I jumped up there with her to lead in the choreography of Overcomer, after you pointed my daughter and me out in Louisville, during your performance and said, “I see you”, while we were doing Refit to Overcomer!! Bless you Mandisa! Bless Refit! Bless God, for empowering us all to be overcomers!!

39. […] download. It has been playing on Christian radio stations for over a week to rave reviews. In a blog post about this new song, Mandisa shares, “I’ve been thinking about the importance of the message […]

40. Amy Walker March 17, 2017 at 1:54 am - Reply

Love your testimony and your profound message of truth and victory ! Thank you! Laus DEO! Soli DEO gloria!

Hebrews 10:16 “This is the new covenant I will make with My people on that day, says the LORD: I will put My laws in their hearts, and I will write them on their minds.”

Hebrews 6:19 This hope is a strong and trustworthy anchor for our souls. It leads us through the curtain into God’s inner sanctuary.

41. Debra March 17, 2017 at 8:02 am - Reply

Thank you so much for sharing. I think us females enjoy beating ourselves up-we loose focus on what is really important. You are a beautiful person, inside and out. I will see you with Tobymac tomorrow at the Garden and I get teary eyed just knowing I will see you again-I’ve seen you before with Toby.

My 22 year old daughter, who is not a Christian, got her and I tickets for your concert tomorrow. I am praying that your presence, your words, will enable her to see God’s love-because that is what I see when I see and hear you.

You are beautiful. Thank you.

42. Holly March 17, 2017 at 9:35 am - Reply

I just moved to the severe and was thinking this morning about Jesus and his 40 days
    In the desert with Satan. As I walked this morning amongst pokey plants and watched thensunrise..I know how Jesus was capable of surviving that time. The awesome beauty and power that God placed in the desert is so profound, all Jesus had to do is look around and see his Father’s greatness and be reminded that anything less than God is not part of the plan.

43. Ronae Lee March 17, 2017 at 11:56 am - Reply

Mandisa!

This has blessed me beyond measure. You are such a gift to the world! Only God can create someone so beautiful. You are amazing I needed to read this! I have been struggling with some things and majority of the issue is me being afraid to fail, live and be free. As a believer I feel that my faith is tested at my most vulnerable moments. This has brought light to the condition of my faith/heart. I have lost so called friends which God later revealed that they were not my friends. My eyes are now open and God is starting to heal those infected wounds that I have bandage, hidden and treated locally in order to co exist. Because of this awareness and baby steps to discovering me again.Keep doing what you are doing Be Blesssed

44. Shirley Darden March 18, 2017 at 9:08 am - Reply

I saw you at the Toby Mac concert last night in Norfolk, where you shared the heartbreaking story of your friend Lakisha and her battle with cancer. You also shared your struggles with your faith during this devastating loss. Thank you for sharing your heartfelt story. You are beautiful Mandisa, and are truly an inspiration to us all! God Bless You!

45. Tanya March 20, 2017 at 9:18 pm - Reply

Thank you Mandisa for truly being God’s servant, by delivering the message of His truth. You were amazing Saturday night in NYC, your openness and sincerity was a blessing to all who heard you. We are the body of Christ, working together as one. Iron sharing iron. I am my brother (sister’s) keeper. I will be praying for you, highly favored woman of God.

46. NEW MUSIC 03/30/17 | WGRC March 30, 2017 at 10:40 am - Reply

[…] UNFINISHED by MANDISA is the latest tune on WGRC #TheMessageIsInTheMusic mandisa […]

47. Crystal Castro March 31, 2017 at 11:03 pm - Reply

Mandisa!!! Giiirl friend! When I fist heard your song Overcommer on K-Love I knew in my heart we would be great friends! This song makes me so pumped when I’m walking on the treadmill! To know that you can relate to me and my struggle with weight is just…a relief and comfort! I mean I hate to hear that others struggle with weight, but you are out there encouraging others to do something about it! I’ve always been up and down with my weight. I did Zumba at home for a few months and loved it! Then I fell off lol but that was before I was saved and before I knew God could help me with it. Then I heard you do Zumba at your shows! I can’t wait for you to come close to Amarillo so I can see you! Any who I was listening to K-Love this week and heard the behind the music where you talked about not even wanting to put Unfinished out and girl! My jaw dropped! That song, I mean ❤️ It just lit a fire in me that I needed soooo bad! At my heaviest I was 262, I’ve managed to lose 22 lbs since last June. Your song Unfinished has inspired me to get back in the groove of working out. I’m trying to get under 200 so I can get preggers. I have a great group of girls on FB in a secret page that are so supportive, encouraging, and not judgemental and truly a gift from God…Just like you!!! Thank you for being real in your music, in your journey with weight loss and as a daughter of God! You are such an inspiration and role model to me! Love you and safe travels during your tour! Much love from Texas!!!

48. Tina Spruill April 5, 2017 at 1:23 pm - Reply

I just heard Unfinished, for the first time, today. I cried. I often listen to Overcomer. I have it on multiple playlists. But when I listen to it I feel both empowered and ashamed that I keep failing myself. When I heard Unfinished today I thought, “Wow, she’s right. This is HARD!”. I don’t know why I always think that my thorns have a checkbox. I have things under control and then I think…check. I don’t have to worry about this anymore. Just when I think I have it licked, it comes back stronger.
    Thank you for your song. It was a wonderful reminder that it’s hard but not over. If I look to God for strength, I can continue to over come the daily battle. I just have to remember that just because we won the battle yesterday, doesn’t mean there won’t be a new battle today. I’m UNFINISHED! <3

49. Dawn Cejka-Grimm April 12, 2017 at 9:32 pm - Reply

It has been heavy on my heart to reach out to you since I watched your live feed on Facebook. What is the best way to get a private message to you.

50. Tina Martin April 18, 2017 at 10:09 am - Reply

Love this song! It describes me and probably many many others. Is the accompaniment track out anywhere?